GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden snails (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204525-garden-snails.html)

[email protected] 20-07-2012 07:19 PM

Garden snails

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden[_3_] 20-07-2012 08:46 PM

Garden snails

Nick wrote

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Funny enough I found a pond snail on one of my roses next to the pond two
days ago.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

No Name 20-07-2012 09:17 PM

Garden snails

wrote:
I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Snails with snorkels?

I could almost hear the pots of beans screaming not to be left on the
plot as they saw the skeletal remains of their predecessors. :'(
And I pulled up some onions as all of the green had been eaten away.
The volunteer parsnips have made it all a bit leafier and shaded on the
onion patch this year! (And despite being on the other allotment, I
found the first white rot victims today *sob*)

Jake 20-07-2012 09:35 PM

Garden snails

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:19:23 +0100 (BST), wrote:

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It's down to societal hierarchy. Snails aspire to higher things than
the homeless (slugs) and so always climb up to avoid the ghettos and
the trouble that ensues there.

I've been thinking of emptying a few buckets full of numbered snails
at the base of Everest and seeing which mollusc gets to the top first.
A charity sponsorship sort of thing.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

David Hill 20-07-2012 10:03 PM

Garden snails

On 20/07/2012 21:35, Jake wrote:
[...]

I'd start them at the top and see which gets down first to feed.

Martin Brown 21-07-2012 09:23 AM

Garden snails

On 20/07/2012 19:19, wrote:
I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

Isn't it a virus infection that rots their "brains" and makes them climb
up the nearest object? I have seen entire fences covered in snails all
trying to get to the top and be eaten by birds.

I have seen a huge slug go across my upstairs window in the rain!
Seems an extreme response to a couple of inches of water down below.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Pam Moore[_2_] 21-07-2012 11:25 AM

Garden snails

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:23:04 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 20/07/2012 19:19, wrote:
I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

I keep finding them half way up my kitchen window. I don't know where
they "think" they are going but they end up in the road to wait for a
bus, or other vehicle. They are obviously trying to be upwardly
mobile!

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 21-07-2012 12:28 PM

Garden snails

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

I keep finding them half way up my kitchen window. I don't know where
they "think" they are going but they end up in the road to wait for a
bus, or other vehicle. They are obviously trying to be upwardly
mobile!

My wife found one on the middle of the living room ceiling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ophelia[_4_] 21-07-2012 04:17 PM

Garden snails

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

I keep finding them half way up my kitchen window. I don't know where
they "think" they are going but they end up in the road to wait for a
bus, or other vehicle. They are obviously trying to be upwardly
mobile!

My wife found one on the middle of the living room ceiling.

lol I hope it was paying rent:)))

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia[_4_] 21-07-2012 05:33 PM

Garden snails

wrote:

On 20/07/2012 19:19, wrote:
I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

I keep finding them half way up my kitchen window. I don't know where
they "think" they are going but they end up in the road to wait for a
bus, or other vehicle. They are obviously trying to be upwardly
mobile!

lol a lot of it about:)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Christina Websell 21-07-2012 09:55 PM

Garden snails

wrote in message ...

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

There is a snail on my first floor bathroom window. How did it get there?

Ophelia[_4_] 21-07-2012 10:00 PM

Garden snails

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

There is a snail on my first floor bathroom window. How did it get there?

It's coming to get youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Christina Websell 21-07-2012 11:15 PM

Garden snails

wrote in message

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

There is a snail on my first floor bathroom window. How did it get
there?

It's coming to get youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Let's be sensible. I've never seen snails climb that far before. I am
worried about the rain. It's not funny.

Ophelia[_4_] 22-07-2012 09:34 AM

Garden snails

wrote in message

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

There is a snail on my first floor bathroom window. How did it get
there?

It's coming to get youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Let's be sensible. I've never seen snails climb that far before. I am
worried about the rain. It's not funny.

Aww I was just trying to cheer you up:(
--

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Jake 22-07-2012 11:28 AM

Garden snails

wrote in message

I am convinced that the reason I am finding so many half-way up
my plants is that they are trying to escape the waters. I shall
start to get seriously worried if I come across any freshwater
mussels attached to my beans, but I suspect that it's only a
matter of time.

There is a snail on my first floor bathroom window. How did it get
there?

It's coming to get youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Let's be sensible. I've never seen snails climb that far before. I am
worried about the rain. It's not funny.

I regularly have snails on upstairs windows (or at the same level on
brickwork) whatever the weather. Seems they all want to be upwardly
mobile.

Cheers, Jake