GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant I.D. Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204542-plant-i-d-please.html)

Pete[_9_] 21-07-2012 07:21 PM

Plant I.D. Please

Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

No Name 21-07-2012 07:26 PM

Plant I.D. Please

Pete wrote:
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

it's pretty, whatever it is. Flowers look like a cross between an
iris and an orchid.

The crocosmia can be classed as a weed if you're not careful with it.
:-)

David Hill 21-07-2012 08:32 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On 21/07/2012 19:26, wrote:
Pete wrote:
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Looks as if it might be Salvia Patens, Dot's Delight
I'd definitely save seeds from it, you will find 2 seeds at the base of
every old flower, after the flower has fallen and just left the bract.
One problem with salvia seed is that they don't stay viable for very
long. Many people will sow then as soon as they are gathered and over
winter the plants frost free.

Ophelia[_4_] 21-07-2012 09:18 PM

Plant I.D. Please

wrote in message
Pete wrote:
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

it's pretty, whatever it is. Flowers look like a cross between an
iris and an orchid.

The crocosmia can be classed as a weed if you're not careful with it.
:-)

Those are what I call Montbretia and I have them in my garden:)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Spider[_3_] 21-07-2012 10:27 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On 21/07/2012 19:21, Pete wrote:
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

Looks like Clary Sage to me. A good cultivar is Salvia sclarea
Turkestanica. It could be that.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 22-07-2012 02:20 PM

Plant I.D. Please

In article , Spider
writes
A good cultivar is Salvia sclarea Turkestanica.

Er, well hang on a minute ...

SS Turkestanica is lovely FROM A DISTANCE, other wise for good read
pongy or smelly or horrendous......................
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Pete[_9_] 22-07-2012 02:48 PM

Plant I.D. Please

"Janet" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

Salvia... or maybe a penstemon. Would it matter if anything so pretty
WAS a weed?

The weeds are the two nettle spikes behind it, going to seed :-)

Janet

Thank you for your replies. I am now happy that it is Salvia - although I
had previously been confused by the large leaves at the base of the plant.

Hubby misunderstood me - I never thought it was a weed but I have found that
in another bed it is becoming somewhat invasive by seeding itself
everywhere - and once it develops it is almost impossible to dig out.
However as I am slowly changing my view to gardening - from pristine beds to
"cottagey" style, I suppose it doesn't matter.

And yes - the nettle spikes have now been pulled out!!!

Jeanne

Jeanne

Spider[_3_] 22-07-2012 03:33 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On 22/07/2012 14:20, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
A good cultivar is Salvia sclarea Turkestanica.

Er, well hang on a minute ...

SS Turkestanica is lovely FROM A DISTANCE, other wise for good read
pongy or smelly or horrendous......................

:~))! I've never found it to be that offensive. The odour is more like
fresh perspiration than stale, which most creatures and *some* humans
find quite attractive ... but I know it doesn't please everyone.

Spider[_3_] 22-07-2012 03:40 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On 2012-07-21 22:27:07 +0100, Spider said:

On 21/07/2012 19:21, Pete wrote:
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

Looks like Clary Sage to me. A good cultivar is Salvia sclarea
Turkestanica. It could be that.

Ah, the BO plant! I don't think it's S Turkestanica as the flower heads
are more 'crowded' than that. This might be Salvia pratensis?

Yes, it certainly could be S. pratensis, but it still looks to me a lot
like the S.sc. Turkestanica I had in this garden years ago. I'm sure
the BO effect will help the OP in identifying it!

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 22-07-2012 05:18 PM

Plant I.D. Please

"Pete" wrote in message
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

Its a Salvia

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Spider[_3_] 22-07-2012 10:25 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On 2012-07-22 15:33:53 +0100, Spider said:

On 22/07/2012 14:20, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
A good cultivar is Salvia sclarea Turkestanica.

Er, well hang on a minute ...

SS Turkestanica is lovely FROM A DISTANCE, other wise for good read
pongy or smelly or horrendous......................

:~))! I've never found it to be that offensive. The odour is more like
fresh perspiration than stale, which most creatures and *some* humans
find quite attractive ... but I know it doesn't please everyone.

I think you had a very polite form of it!! We keep it to the middle
(ish) of a border for just that reason. If someone brushes against it,
or touches it, they won't forget it in a hurry!

Quite so! I must remember to stand in the middle of a border next time
I've been gardening vigorously ;~))

Sheila[_5_] 22-07-2012 10:39 PM

Plant I.D. Please

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message ...

"Pete" wrote in message
Jeanne is concerned that this could be a weed (:-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Could anybody identify it please.

Many thanks
Pete

Its a Salvia

I bought one of those today, at Biddulph grange. Think it was salvia
Galeta, but its a very nice blue.

Pam Moore[_2_] 22-07-2012 10:54 PM

Plant I.D. Please

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:48:16 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

[...]

Jeanne if you can save some seed from it I'll happily buy some. It's
beautiful!

Pam in Bristol

Pete[_9_] 17-02-2013 05:13 PM

Paging---- Pam Moore/ ( Dave Hill )

who wrote ---

"Jeanne if you can save some seed from it I'll happily buy some. It's
beautiful!

Pam in Bristol "

Sowing season now here -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Come back here if you are still interested -
we are happy to gift some without charge (and without guarantee ! )

Peter and Jeanne in Cheshire.

David Hill 17-02-2013 05:37 PM

Paging---- Pam Moore/ ( Dave Hill )

On 17/02/2013 17:13, Pete wrote:
who wrote ---

"Jeanne if you can save some seed from it I'll happily buy some. It's
beautiful!

Pam in Bristol "

Sowing season now here -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...n/photostream/

Come back here if you are still interested -
we are happy to gift some without charge (and without guarantee ! )

Peter and Jeanne in Cheshire.

Why is my name added to Pam's?