GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Belton House, Grantham (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204649-belton-house-grantham.html)

Baz[_3_] 29-07-2012 01:43 PM

Belton House, Grantham

What a lovely place!
I have never been inclined to sniff a few flowers and get drunk with the
ambience but this last few days my boss and me have been pricing up some
work for the national trust. Well, him not me, I feel like the chauffeur.
A true eye opener for me though, with the gardens, topiary, orangry, and
some bees which nest in walls. Not least the carpentry from the 17th
century when the blacksmith made all the nails to stick this beautiful
place together.
And they paid tax for having glass in the window frames back then!
I have never met nicer and more helpful people this few days.

Baz

Bob Hobden 29-07-2012 02:46 PM

Belton House, Grantham

"Baz" wrote

What a lovely place!
I have never been inclined to sniff a few flowers and get drunk with the
ambience but this last few days my boss and me have been pricing up some
work for the national trust. Well, him not me, I feel like the chauffeur.
A true eye opener for me though, with the gardens, topiary, orangry, and
some bees which nest in walls. Not least the carpentry from the 17th
century when the blacksmith made all the nails to stick this beautiful
place together.
And they paid tax for having glass in the window frames back then!
I have never met nicer and more helpful people this few days.

Some NT places are better than others regarding the staff, a bit like the
cafe's too. The volunteers at Basildon Park are also especially friendly and
pleasant which makes the visit so much better, cakes there are excellent
too. The worst people I've ever come across, such that friends praised me
for not laying one officious git out, was at Rothchilds place, Waddesdon
Manor but I understand they are paid guards there not NT volunteers.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.