Old 31-07-2012, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ground-cover plants for shade in Newcastle?

I have an east-west privet hedge 6 ft high and a "bed" immediately to
the north of it, obviously in pretty heavy shade. I am an idle sod, so
I would like something needing little attention, eg ground-cover. Not
ferns, they die back in the winter.

Suggestions please.

Michael Bell

On boulder-clay in Newcastle on Tyne.

Old 31-07-2012, 06:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bell View Post

--
It's a challenging spot, as it is not only shady but also dry.

Hardy cyclamen is one option, but they die back in the summer ;-)
__________________
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

Michael Bell wrote:

I have an east-west privet hedge 6 ft high and a "bed" immediately to
the north of it, obviously in pretty heavy shade. I am an idle sod, so
I would like something needing little attention, eg ground-cover. Not
ferns, they die back in the winter.

Suggestions please.

On boulder-clay in Newcastle on Tyne.

I'm surprised no one's come back to you on this. FWIW, I would try
Bergenia (Eroica has good strong coloured flowers), Vinca minor (avoid
Vinca major; it is a thug and spreads unstoppably), and possibly some
varieties of ivy. But have a look here for more choices:
http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
I see they have sections on plants for dry shade and also evergreen
ferns.

I planted some Epimediums (the common yellow one) under a large Camellia and
they have thrived, evergreen and flowers and no trouble at all.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...
I'm surprised no one's come back to you on this. FWIW, I would try
Bergenia (Eroica has good strong coloured flowers), Vinca minor (avoid
Vinca major; it is a thug and spreads unstoppably), and possibly some
varieties of ivy. But have a look here for more choices:
http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
I see they have sections on plants for dry shade and also evergreen
ferns.

I planted some Epimediums (the common yellow one) under a large
Camellia and they have thrived, evergreen and flowers and no trouble
at all.

A slowly spreading variegated sedge, Carex morrowii 'Ice Dance', is
doing well in a shaded area in my garden even with a generally light
soil that drains easily (in normal years, that is). I gave it a decent
helping of compost when planting and it hasn't looked back. A good
ground cover plant but not thuggish, and adds a bit of brightness and
contrast of texture.

--
Sue