GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sambucus? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204699-sambucus.html)

Mitulove 03-08-2012 09:11 PM

Sambucus?

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is it a sambucus?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k...w/s640/sam.jpg

Many thanks!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-08-2012 10:30 PM

Sambucus?

In message , Mitulove
writes

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is
it a sambucus?

http://tinyurl.com/cavqklp

Many thanks!

Wrong foliage for a Sambucus; I think that it's a Cornus.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

David Hill 03-08-2012 11:10 PM

Sambucus?

On 2012-08-03 21:11:57 +0100, Mitulove
said:

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is
it a sambucus?

http://tinyurl.com/cavqklp

Many thanks!

I wonder if it could be a Clerodendron. Where is it growing?

I'll go with Cornus (Dogwood) as well.
David

Emery Davis[_4_] 04-08-2012 12:15 AM

Sambucus?

On 2012-08-03 21:11:57 +0100, Mitulove
said:

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is
it a sambucus?

http://tinyurl.com/cavqklp

Many thanks!

I wonder if it could be a Clerodendron. Where is it growing?

I'll go with Cornus (Dogwood) as well.
David

I agree, that was my first thought.

Her@Nowhere 04-08-2012 06:33 AM

Sambucus?

In article , says...

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is
it a sambucus?

http://tinyurl.com/cavqklp

No, it's a cornus alba (dogwood).

Can't see the mature bark colour properly; the ones with yellow green or red barks look
attractive in winter when the leaves are off.

Janet

kay 04-08-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitulove (Post 965978)
Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is it a sambucus?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k...w/s640/sam.jpg

Many thanks!

No it's a Cornus (dogwood).

Sambucus is elderberry and has leaves which are divided into leaflets. I suspect you've been misled by the flowers - both have a flat head of flowers, but the Cornus flower head is usually about 6cm across, whereas the elderberry flowerhead is 15cm across.

Mitulove 04-08-2012 12:02 PM

Thank you so much, everyone :)

Mitulove 04-08-2012 12:08 PM

Another question--do cornus only have the very straight branch growth when coppiced? The one I have is very congested and the branches are all quite twisted..

Stewart Robert Hinsley 04-08-2012 07:28 PM

Sambucus?

In message ,
"Her@Nowhere" writes
In article ,
says...

Hello all,

Been trying to identify this shrub with the help of a Hessayon book--is
it a sambucus?

http://tinyurl.com/cavqklp

No, it's a cornus alba (dogwood).

How do you tell that it's Cornus alba and not Cornus sericea?