Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden waste wheelie bin collection - some concerns

Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a
notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains
garden waste.

Now what will people do if they want to dispose of nasty garden waste
such as lawn mowings contaminated with weedkiller or diseased
vegetation?

If they put nasty stuff in the garden waste bin - and then that waste is
made into compost for sale in garden centres - will there not be a
problem?

And is it possible, when buying garden centre compost, to ensure that
one doesn't get a compost containing council rubbish?
--
Chris
Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 6:13:34 PM UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a

notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains

garden waste.

Now what will people do if they want to dispose of nasty garden waste

such as lawn mowings contaminated with weedkiller or diseased

vegetation?

If they put nasty stuff in the garden waste bin - and then that waste is

made into compost for sale in garden centres - will there not be a

problem?

And is it possible, when buying garden centre compost, to ensure that

one doesn't get a compost containing council rubbish?

--

Chris

Bagging the garden waste properly, and ensuring its not on the very top of the rest of what you have in the bin should mean no problems.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 5 August 2012 18:13:34 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a

notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains

garden waste.

Now what will people do if they want to dispose of nasty garden waste

such as lawn mowings contaminated with weedkiller or diseased

vegetation?

If they put nasty stuff in the garden waste bin - and then that waste is

made into compost for sale in garden centres - will there not be a

problem?

And is it possible, when buying garden centre compost, to ensure that

one doesn't get a compost containing council rubbish?

--

Chris

I think I smell jobsworthery.
Are they going to look in and inspect every black bag inside your wheelie bin? Not that I'm advocating such rebellious conduct of course.
If you don't want rubbish compost, there are still a handful of manufactureres selling peat based composts. Erin and Westland for example.
As for grass cuttings treated with weedkiller - why spray your grass unless you're aiming for a high quality playing surface? A species rich sward is far less boring anyway.

Rod
Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a
notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains
garden waste.
For as long as I can remember (well before the advent of any sort of wheelie bin) councils have said "no garden waste".

OT: at our local tip, I challenged a man who was about to empty a whole lot of broken plastic plant pots and polystyrene trays into the "garden waste" skip. "Well, it's garden stuff".

He came back later and said "You were right - I asked the guy - thanks for telling me".
__________________
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steerpike" wrote in message
[...]

Put anything in bags in my LA garden waste wheelie bins and it won't get
emptied.
--

shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2012 18:13, Chris wrote:
Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a
notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains
garden waste.

Wow! What backwater are you living in that they have only just got
around to a separate collection for garden waste?

Now what will people do if they want to dispose of nasty garden waste
such as lawn mowings contaminated with weedkiller or diseased vegetation?

Makes no difference at the temperature they will bulk compost stuff
everything except a handful of very nasty persistent commercial farm
weedkillers will be long gone after it has been composted.

I put all my lawn clippings on the compost heap. Never had a problem
once it has composted down. Test with mustard & cress seed if worried.

If they put nasty stuff in the garden waste bin - and then that waste is
made into compost for sale in garden centres - will there not be a problem?

Not if they do it right. Hot composting will see of most things. I
compost many more things than my green bin accepts - the only thing I
don't are things with white onion rot and extremely sharp pyracantha
prunings. My green bin is used to make leaf mould instead.

And is it possible, when buying garden centre compost, to ensure that
one doesn't get a compost containing council rubbish?

Council recycled compost is actually not bad stuff at all unless you are
an eccentric Organic(TM) grower targetting the worried well with vastly
overpriced and overpackaged supermarket produce.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote

Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a
notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains garden
waste.

Now what will people do if they want to dispose of nasty garden waste such
as lawn mowings contaminated with weedkiller or diseased vegetation?

If they put nasty stuff in the garden waste bin - and then that waste is
made into compost for sale in garden centres - will there not be a problem?

And is it possible, when buying garden centre compost, to ensure that one
doesn't get a compost containing council rubbish?

I recently took the Blighted hulms of my potatoes down the tip and the chap
there said "not in garden waste please, put it in the general rubbish".
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Some councils have issued new wheelie bins for garden waste and issued a
notice saying that the normal bin will not be emptied if it contains
garden waste.

We've never been allowed to put garden waste in our bins. If they see it
in there, they won't empty it.
We can get a brown bin for garden waste, costs £16 /year and gets emptied
fortnightly.
Never bothered as I have a compost heap.
Tina

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleycatuk View Post

Put anything in bags in my LA garden waste wheelie bins and it won't get
emptied.
But that wasn't what was suggested.

What was being suggested was, in the case of weedkilled lawn clippings that the OP didn't want to put in the garden waste wheelie bin, to bag it up and hide it under the waste in the black bin so that the black bin wouldn't be rejected for containing apparent garden waste.
__________________
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

shirleycatuk;966273 Wrote:

Put anything in bags in my LA garden waste wheelie bins and it won't get

emptied.

But that wasn't what was suggested.

What was being suggested was, in the case of weedkilled lawn clippings
that the OP didn't want to put in the garden waste wheelie bin, to bag
it up and hide it under the waste in the black bin so that the black bin
wouldn't be rejected for containing apparent garden waste.

--
kay

Sorry, I misunderstood what was being said!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleycatuk View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood what was being said!
--

shirley x
shirleycatuk's messages on webshots
- Robert Heinlein
Never mind - with a sig like that, all is forgiven ;-)