Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butterfly/moth id

Anyone know what this is? About 35mm lengthwise but didn't manage to see
it with wings spread. Can't find anything remotely similar on the web. TIA

http://i48.tinypic.com/qn9uug.jpg

Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Isn't it the Jersey Tiger Moth? The one I couldn't ID a couple of
years ago, despite being a Jersey woman!
Spot on this time, I'd say. Euplagia quadripunctaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

;966408']Isn't it the Jersey Tiger Moth? The one I couldn't ID a couple

free encyclopedia' (http://tinyurl.com/9mhjeg8)

--
echinosum

It would seem to me that there are several "Tigers" to be identified. I
would suggest that the one in question is the "Wood Tiger" - parasemia
plantagenis
Linnaeus,family Arctiidae..

I now, on further investigation, agree with echinosum and am in favour of
identifying the moth as 'Euplagia quadripunctaria" .
My refernce shows the Wood tiger with its wings closed and the Jersey tiger
with its wings open presenting a different "view" making identification a
bit more difficult.

An interesting thread - thanks Stuart.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2012 10:12, Bill Grey wrote:
"echinosum" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
[...]

Thank YOU! I'm just sorry I didn't better shots of it