Old 13-08-2012, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olive tree leaves some are yellowing

Have a six foot olive tree in a pot in a south facing garden in London.

Suddenly quite a few leaves have turned yellow and are withering.

We have tried to be careful not to overwater it. Is there any specific
watering regime that is recommended? Thanks.

Old 13-08-2012, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john stone" wrote in message
Have a six foot olive tree in a pot in a south facing garden in London.

Suddenly quite a few leaves have turned yellow and are withering.

We have tried to be careful not to overwater it. Is there any specific
watering regime that is recommended? Thanks.

They do shed leaves from time to time.
They are evergreen (keep the leaves over winter) so do discard leaves at
other times.
Our olive has dropped some recently but seems in fine fettle.
Also, make sure you are not under watering.
The weather has turned unusually warm and dry.

I tend to let some small weeds grow in the pot.
They are good indicators of when the olive needs feeding and watering.
If they go all yellow or shrivel up then probably there isn't enough food
and water.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 14-08-2012, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:47:03 +0100, "john stone"
wrote:

Have a six foot olive tree in a pot in a south facing garden in London.

Suddenly quite a few leaves have turned yellow and are withering.

We have tried to be careful not to overwater it. Is there any specific
watering regime that is recommended? Thanks.

I have a much smaller olive in a pot, and have noticed the leaves are
not as green as usual. I have put it down to it being wetter than it
shoud be due to all the rain. I'm just keeping fingers crossed.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-08-2012, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-13 10:47:03 +0100, "john stone"
said:

Have a six foot olive tree in a pot in a south facing garden in London.

Suddenly quite a few leaves have turned yellow and are withering.

We have tried to be careful not to overwater it. Is there any specific
watering regime that is recommended? Thanks.

When you do water it, is it raised a little so that the water can get out
of the pot? Watering only when truly dry is desirable. If you think of
their natural growing conditions, they're often on very stony, sloping
ground that's sharply drained.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Many thanks i will raise the pot. I'm still wondering though what regime i
should adopt for watering in the dry weather. And also if our wet winters
are too wet, and i should therefor shield the pot from the rain?

Old 24-08-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , john woods
writes

Many thanks i will raise the pot. I'm still wondering though what regime i
should adopt for watering in the dry weather. And also if our wet winters
are too wet, and i should therefor shield the pot from the rain?

I've cut out a circular piece of groundsheet to go over the top of my
olive pots during the winter (as well as having them raised). Usually,
enough water gets in via the slit you make to get it round the trunk.

I've also had to employ the technicque at times over the apparent late
spring/summer for some of my citrus pots

--
regards andyw