GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions & Shallots, differences in cultivation? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204831-onions-shallots-differences-cultivation.html)

Moonraker 16-08-2012 01:32 PM

Onions & Shallots, differences in cultivation?

I would have thought that the cultivation for these 2 vegetables would
be identical. However I always get a good crop of onions but a poor one
of shallots, both are grown in identical conditions from sets. Should I
be treating them differently, if so how?

Bob Hobden 16-08-2012 05:07 PM

Onions & Shallots, differences in cultivation?

"Moonraker" wrote

I would have thought that the cultivation for these 2 vegetables would be
identical. However I always get a good crop of onions but a poor one of
shallots, both are grown in identical conditions from sets. Should I be
treating them differently, if so how?

We have had an excellent year for both onions (seed and sets) and shallots
(mainly French, Jermor, Longue, Griss).
They are both planted in our onion bed for that year (4 year rotation) and
treated the same. The only thing is the shallots are planted earlier than
the onions, February. Some, like a friend did with Jermor last year, even in
the autumn.
We now replant our own shallots every year as they do seem to get used to
your soil/conditions and always seem to do better than bought in sets. Keep
the best/biggest to replant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.