Old 19-08-2012, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberries

How have your respberries been this year?

Mine are disapointing and confusing. After last winter, some of the
summer fruiting canes just died, others have fruited, but not heavily.
Strangely, some of the new canes, for next year, have also fruited this
year whilst quite short (turning them into autumn fruiting) so I am a
bit short on canes for next summer!

The autumn fruiting variety are coming into production now, but are
quite short, around 3ft, rather than the normal 5-6ft. so it looks as f
they will not crop heavily either.

As both types are around 17 years old, perhaps it is time to dig them
all out and start again!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 19-08-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger Tonkin wrote:
How have your respberries been this year?

Best year ever, so far. They are huge and firm, rather than tiny and
squishy that they were last few years. But this may have more to do
with the extreme weeding I gave them earlier this year (which still
hasn't remove all of the bindweed!! But at least thye're not competing
as much). These are all autumn-fruiting canes, btw.

As both types are around 17 years old, perhaps it is time to dig them
all out and start again!

Don't know how old ours are, as they were there when we inherited the
plot, but I suspect they're not youthful. But they're not reluctant to
send out brand new canes over in new and interesting places, such as
in the strawberry hole in the weed blanket that has gone over the new
strawberry plot! If they had their way they would take over.
Old 19-08-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:18:45 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

How have your respberries been this year?

Mine are disapointing and confusing. After last winter, some of the
summer fruiting canes just died, others have fruited, but not heavily.
Strangely, some of the new canes, for next year, have also fruited this
year whilst quite short (turning them into autumn fruiting) so I am a
bit short on canes for next summer!

The autumn fruiting variety are coming into production now, but are
quite short, around 3ft, rather than the normal 5-6ft. so it looks as f
they will not crop heavily either.

As both types are around 17 years old, perhaps it is time to dig them
all out and start again!

I only have Autumn fruiters which did very well last year, and having
been completely neglected, have spread to about twice the size of
patch and are 5 - 6 feet high. I've only kept the allotment on till
now to get the fruit.
However they are only just beginning to flower and I'm worried that I
may get a repeat of a few years ago when the first frost came just as
the first fruit were ripening!
Time will tell!

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-08-2012, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

How have your respberries been this year?

Mine are disapointing and confusing. After last winter, some of the
summer fruiting canes just died, others have fruited, but not heavily.
Strangely, some of the new canes, for next year, have also fruited this
year whilst quite short (turning them into autumn fruiting) so I am a
bit short on canes for next summer!

The autumn fruiting variety are coming into production now, but are
quite short, around 3ft, rather than the normal 5-6ft. so it looks as f
they will not crop heavily either.

As both types are around 17 years old, perhaps it is time to dig them
all out and start again!

Mine are fruiting very nicely (canes are between 3 and 5 years old).
Your "source canes" may be coming to the end of their life but younger
side canes are worth separating from the parents and potting up to
provide some new stock. Goes without saying that new canes should be
planted somewhere else.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin writes
How have your respberries been this year?

Blinking terrible..........
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 24-08-2012, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:12:34 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Tonkin writes
How have your respberries been this year?

Excellent, made up for the poor strawberry yield

Yields of raspberries and blueberries WCD Edible Gardening 0 14-05-2003 07:44 PM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM