GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   climbing rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204860-climbing-rose.html)

iaass17gr 19-08-2012 09:09 PM

climbing rose

I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-08-2012 03:57 PM

climbing rose

--
iaass17gr

Rosa x oderata 'Mutabilis'

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Christina Websell 20-08-2012 04:46 PM

climbing rose

"iaass17gr" wrote in message

I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for
a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering
and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

I had a climbing Ena Harkness that I planted at my previous house for a
similar sized wall.
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl....asp?showr=325
A beautiful classic red hybrid tea fragrant rose and didn't outgrow the
space while I was there (7 years). I was quite sad to have to leave her
behind.
There may be newer roses that might suit you better though, I've been in my
present house 26 years. I'll leave others to advise you about what they
might be.

Tina

Bob Hobden 20-08-2012 05:02 PM

climbing rose

"iaass17gr" wrote ...

I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for
a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering
and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

Do you want large flowers varieties or small flowered ones? With flowers at
head height or is your priority to cover the wall even if most of the
flowers are at 10ft or more? Are you happy getting on ladders to prune 12ft
tall roses? Would you prefer less vigorous varieties that, say, got to 6 or
8 ft?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Rod[_5_] 20-08-2012 06:01 PM

climbing rose

On Sunday, 19 August 2012 21:09:09 UTC+1, iaass17gr wrote:
I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for

a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering

and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

--

iaass17gr

If it's just one it has to be 'New Dawn' Healthy, bombproof, repeat flowering, fragrant cheeky tubby pale pink flowers that laugh off the wet weather.

Rod.

shirleycatuk 20-08-2012 11:45 PM

climbing rose

"iaass17gr" wrote in message

I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for
a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering
and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

--
iaass17gr

My favourite is Compassion, repeat flowering and very fragrant.

http://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/...rod=Compassion

--

shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

iaass17gr 23-08-2012 01:34 PM

[quote=Bob Hobden;967068]"iaass17gr" wrote ...

I would very much welcome your recommendations for a climbing rose for
a south facing wall about 7 feet wide and 10ft high - repeat flowering
and very fragrant - colour not a consideration - Thanks

Do you want large flowers varieties or small flowered ones? With flowers at
head height or is your priority to cover the wall even if most of the
flowers are at 10ft or more? Are you happy getting on ladders to prune 12ft
tall roses? Would you prefer less vigorous varieties that, say, got to 6 or
8 ft?

Less vigorous up to 8ft repeat flowering and fragrant smallish flowers- thanks

Bob Hobden 23-08-2012 11:50 PM

climbing rose

"iaass17gr" wrote

"iaass17gr" wrote ...-

-
Do you want large flowers varieties or small flowered ones? With flowers
at
head height or is your priority to cover the wall even if most of the
flowers are at 10ft or more? Are you happy getting on ladders to prune
12ft
tall roses? Would you prefer less vigorous varieties that, say, got to 6
or
8 ft?

Less vigorous up to 8ft repeat flowering and fragrant smallish flowers-
thanks

Well "Gertrude Jekyll" is up to 8ft, repeat flowering and very fragrant but
maybe the flowers are too big. Likewise "Tess of the D'Urbavilles".
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.