Old 20-08-2012, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onions

Started lifting the onions today. All yhe book say lay them on the soil
to dry - why? Rspecially as we get heavy dew most mornings, even if it
does not rain.

In previous years I've always spread them out on an old sheet on the
patio, if it looks a suny day, and put them in the garage overnight - am
I missing something?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 20-08-2012, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message

Started lifting the onions today. All yhe book say lay them on the soil
to dry - why? Rspecially as we get heavy dew most mornings, even if it
does not rain.

In previous years I've always spread them out on an old sheet on the
patio, if it looks a suny day, and put them in the garage overnight - am
I missing something?

No.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-08-2012, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Started lifting the onions today. All yhe book say lay them on the soil
to dry - why? Rspecially as we get heavy dew most mornings, even if it
does not rain.

In previous years I've always spread them out on an old sheet on the
patio, if it looks a suny day, and put them in the garage overnight - am
I missing something?

I think what you are doing now is right, and you aren't missing anything.
I don't grow them any more (cheaper and better IME from international
stores) because I try to grow more expensive veg. with my limited space. We
use lots of onions, and again IME, the eye watering ones we prefer can only
be bought, and very cheaply.

Hope this is useful for you.
Baz