Old 22-08-2012, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What flower is this ?

Well it looks as if everyone was stumped by this picture
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
Sacha thought possibly sedum
here is a larger view
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup03.jpg
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.
Old 22-08-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote
Well it looks as if everyone was stumped by this picture
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
Sacha thought possibly sedum
here is a larger view
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup03.jpg
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

A lacecap hydrangea?

--
Sue

Old 22-08-2012, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2012 10:28, David Hill wrote:
Well it looks as if everyone was stumped by this picture
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
Sacha thought possibly sedum

Possibly. Flower shape is right.
Any chance of a view of the whole plant?

here is a larger view
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup03.jpg
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Wider out one looks more like a hydrangea with central male anthers on
the small central flower cluster surrounded by large sepals.

Again a picture from further back would make it clear.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-08-2012, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2012 13:47, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/08/2012 10:28, David Hill wrote:
Well it looks as if everyone was stumped by this picture
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
Sacha thought possibly sedum

Possibly. Flower shape is right.
Any chance of a view of the whole plant?

here is a larger view
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup03.jpg
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Wider out one looks more like a hydrangea with central male anthers on
the small central flower cluster surrounded by large sepals.

Again a picture from further back would make it clear.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I know what it is Martin, the idea was to use it as a test, hence the
first 2 pics posted were
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
and
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup01.jpg

The idea was to test people and to show that we don't really look
closely at flowers.
I could of course have posted a large picture with the name but that
would have been pointless.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay.
Old 22-08-2012, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2012 15:14, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Right. Looking at it again and the leaf pattern in the background I
wonder now if it might not be a pink viburnum of some sort.

I could of course have posted a large picture with the name but that
would have been pointless.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay.

So it is like that University Challenge view of some object from a
strange angle and gradually zooming back until it is obvious.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 22-08-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Martin Brown wrote:

So it is like that University Challenge view of some object from a
strange angle and gradually zooming back until it is obvious.

I thought that was Ask The Family!

--
Chris
Old 22-08-2012, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I know what it is Martin, the idea was to use it as a test, hence the
first 2 pics posted were
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
and
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup01.jpg

The idea was to test people and to show that we don't really look
closely at flowers.
I could of course have posted a large picture with the name but that
would have been pointless.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay.

Is it Hydrangea macrophylla Mariesii?

Quite right Sacha, though I only knew it as Hydrangea macrophylla.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay
Old 23-08-2012, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 20:36:18 +0100, David Hill
said:

I know what it is Martin, the idea was to use it as a test, hence the
first 2 pics posted were
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup04.jpg
and
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../closeup01.jpg

The idea was to test people and to show that we don't really look
closely at flowers.
I could of course have posted a large picture with the name but that
would have been pointless.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay.

Is it Hydrangea macrophylla Mariesii?

Quite right Sacha, though I only knew it as Hydrangea macrophylla.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

I'm a shameless cheat. I walked past one in a pot in the nursery today
and thought "that pink colour looks just like David's photo". ;-) Btw,
that new camera of yours is pretty good, eh?!!

The chief reason for getting the new camera was that it has a tilting
screen so useful when taking close ups high up or low down, it's great,
but my old camera is still good.
David
Old 23-08-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 20:36:18 +0100, David Hill
said:

[...]

www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/