Old 22-08-2012, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?
Old 22-08-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Could be our friend the grey squirrel.

Old 22-08-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2012 21:51, Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

If it's total destruction then it could be a badger.
Old 22-08-2012, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote

The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Wood Mice and/or Rats.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-08-2012, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Raccoons?

That's one of the more common replies :-) Yes, I agree with the
idea of squirrels.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-08-2012, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Rats or mice.
Apparently rats got a lot of last year's crops on the allotments
Old 23-08-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Aug 2012 14:31:51 GMT, wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Rats or mice.
Apparently rats got a lot of last year's crops on the allotments

Agreed. Badgers completely demolish the plants, as I found to my cost
the last year I bothered growing it.

Pam in Bristol