Old 24-08-2012, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Are these slugs doing what I think!

Came across 2 large fat slugs this morning, they were joined head to
head and tail to tail, between them was a large dollop of jelly type
substance. I assumed they were trying to add to the already over
population of slugs in my garden, am I right? anyway a little salt cured
them!
Old 24-08-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:13:16 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

Came across 2 large fat slugs this morning, they were joined head to
head and tail to tail, between them was a large dollop of jelly type
substance. I assumed they were trying to add to the already over
population of slugs in my garden, am I right? anyway a little salt cured
them!

Coitus interrupticus! You could at least have let them finish

What a lot of people don't know is that whilst slugs are
hermaphrodites, it is quite common for a slug to mate as a male only
once. This is because the male bit often gets so tangled up during the
twisting mating ritual that the only way to separate for the
after-cigarette is to chew the willy off. Thereafter the slug can only
mate as a female.

I suppose that's why most slug eggs result from self fertilisation as
it's safer.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 24-08-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Too much information Jake.

Old 24-08-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote in
:

Coitus interrupticus! You could at least have let them finish

What a lot of people don't know is that whilst slugs are
hermaphrodites, it is quite common for a slug to mate as a male only
once. This is because the male bit often gets so tangled up during
the twisting mating ritual that the only way to separate for the
after-cigarette is to chew the willy off. Thereafter the slug can
only mate as a female.

I suppose that's why most slug eggs result from self fertilisation as
it's safer.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Too much information Jake.

Speak for yourself. It would be much easier if a man had a pregnancy and
gave birth. We wouldn't have all this whinging and complaining!
We would give birth and carry on working, as if nothing had happened.
AND we would rid the kitchen of dodgy wouldbe cooks.

Baz
Old 24-08-2012, 05:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Came across 2 large fat slugs this morning, they were joined head to
head and tail to tail, between them was a large dollop of jelly type
substance. I assumed they were trying to add to the already over
population of slugs in my garden, am I right? anyway a little salt cured
them!
There are a lot of different species of slugs, and it's mainly the small ones that do the damage to living plants. The very large ones are more likely to be eating dead stuff. And some are carnivorous and eat, eg, other slugs.
__________________

Old 24-08-2012, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2012 11:13, Moonraker wrote:
Came across 2 large fat slugs this morning, they were joined head to
head and tail to tail, between them was a large dollop of jelly type
substance. I assumed they were trying to add to the already over
population of slugs in my garden, am I right? anyway a little salt cured
them!

On a different tack
I found 3 little slugs lined up along a plant label.
I wondered if they thought it was a menu.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Very big slugs are carnivorous and will eat the smaller slugs rather than
eat your plants.