GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Old blackcurrants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204914-old-blackcurrants.html)

No Name 24-08-2012 01:52 PM

Old blackcurrants

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

Martin Brown 24-08-2012 03:54 PM

Old blackcurrants

On 24/08/2012 13:52, wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

I suppose not. Are your local birds colour blind or something?

I have to net to stand any chance of eating my fruits.
Blueberries are in season at the moment.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Baz[_3_] 24-08-2012 04:02 PM

Old blackcurrants

wrote in news:a9pbnqFh9nU1
@mid.individual.net:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

Baz

Baz[_3_] 24-08-2012 04:15 PM

Old blackcurrants

Martin Brown wrote in news:NAMZr.403
:

On 24/08/2012 13:52, wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

I suppose not. Are your local birds colour blind or something?

I have to net to stand any chance of eating my fruits.
Blueberries are in season at the moment.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin, Thats unlucky! The birds here are still going after live food. But
yet again it is a strange year this one. My blackberries have not been
touched by birds yet.

Baz

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 24-08-2012 04:57 PM

Old blackcurrants

In article ,
says...

wrote in news:a9pbnqFh9nU1
@mid.individual.net:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

Baz

So does mine, and if I walk past and brush against it, the missed fruits
fall like rain.

I recall years ago seeing on TV a commercial blackcurrant picker that
was like a great big tray that shook the plants and gathered up the
falling berries. That's a good idea I though, got out some old
decorating clothes and spread them around a bush and shook - great, off
came the berries, but so did all the dried and loose leaves and other
debris! Took me longer to pick out the berries from the debris than it
would have to pick them!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

No Name 24-08-2012 08:57 PM

Old blackcurrants

Martin Brown wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

I suppose not. Are your local birds colour blind or something?

I have to net to stand any chance of eating my fruits.
Blueberries are in season at the moment.

They're all fully netted this year. :-)
But they do seem to have had a muchshorter picking season than normal.
I found the last whitecurrants this afternoon. I /love/ the whitecurrants
even more than the redcurrants. The blackcurrants I find a bit meh.

No Name 24-08-2012 08:57 PM

Old blackcurrants

Martin Brown wrote:
I suppose not. Are your local birds colour blind or something?

I suppose if they're no good for me I can collect them for the chickens

NT 25-08-2012 11:22 AM

Old blackcurrants

On Aug 24, 1:52*pm, wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. *:-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

I've got a currant bush I didnt know was there, and would like to know
which type of currant it is before propagating, I've got enough reds
already. Is there a way to tell?

And is there somewhere I could upload the pics to - tinypic is now
unusable, and most sites I looked at in the past wanted agreements to
crazy clauses I dont have any interest in getting involved with.

NT

[email protected] 25-08-2012 11:57 AM

Old blackcurrants

In article ,
Baz wrote:
wrote in news:a9pbnqFh9nU1
:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

No, except the effort and the fact that they may not be nice.
I would have a go and see - they might still have flavour.

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

If you can catch any disease from your blackcurrants, you are much
stranger than I thought! None of that family produce much in the
way of toxins, so that won't be a problem, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Baz[_3_] 25-08-2012 12:03 PM

Old blackcurrants

wrote in :

In article ,
Baz wrote:
wrote in news:a9pbnqFh9nU1
:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

No, except the effort and the fact that they may not be nice.
I would have a go and see - they might still have flavour.

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

If you can catch any disease from your blackcurrants, you are much
stranger than I thought! None of that family produce much in the
way of toxins, so that won't be a problem, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hmmm. Strange! I did not say that a person can catch a disease, I said that
the berries could have a disease. I thought that was clear enough, not so,
sorry about that.

Baz

David Hill 25-08-2012 01:10 PM

Old blackcurrants

On 25/08/2012 11:22, NT wrote:
On Aug 24, 1:52 pm, wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

I've got a currant bush I didnt know was there, and would like to know
which type of currant it is before propagating, I've got enough reds
already. Is there a way to tell?

And is there somewhere I could upload the pics to - tinypic is now
unusable, and most sites I looked at in the past wanted agreements to
crazy clauses I dont have any interest in getting involved with.

NT

Smell a crushed leaf.
Black currants have a strong smell

No Name 25-08-2012 10:52 PM

Old blackcurrants

wrote:
I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

No, except the effort and the fact that they may not be nice.
I would have a go and see - they might still have flavour.

I tried a nibble of some, which tasted ok - a bit sour for dried fruit,
but I kind of liked that! I've had dried blackcurrants before in my
Graze boxes, although I always thought that 'currants' were, y'know,
dried blackcurrants ...

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

If you can catch any disease from your blackcurrants, you are much
stranger than I thought! None of that family produce much in the
way of toxins, so that won't be a problem, either.

(noting it wasn't me that suggested any kind of toxins, but ...)
I think mostly I was wondering if they were likely to have had some kind
of wee beastie laid in them. I don't fancy food which wriggles.

Baz[_3_] 25-08-2012 11:08 PM

Old blackcurrants

wrote in news:a9svpoFdkiU1
@mid.individual.net:

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. It gets stranger. Handsome is as handsome does, as they say.

Baz

[email protected] 26-08-2012 09:59 AM

Old blackcurrants

In article , wrote:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

If you can catch any disease from your blackcurrants, you are much
stranger than I thought! None of that family produce much in the
way of toxins, so that won't be a problem, either.

(noting it wasn't me that suggested any kind of toxins, but ...)

Well, you asked if there was any reason not to use them, which I
interpreted as asking if they might harm you.

I think mostly I was wondering if they were likely to have had some kind
of wee beastie laid in them. I don't fancy food which wriggles.

How unnatural of you - you are abandoning millions of years of
tradition :-)

Generally, that isn't common in shrivelled fruit - it is more
typically associated with distortion and rot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No Name 01-09-2012 12:13 AM

Old blackcurrants

wrote:
I think mostly I was wondering if they were likely to have had some kind
of wee beastie laid in them. I don't fancy food which wriggles.

How unnatural of you - you are abandoning millions of years of
tradition :-)

I'm already doing that with my lack of meat consuming, so I'm told.
Oddly, I'm a lot less twitchy at raspberries that may or may not have crawly
things in them than I used to be.