Old 27-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Default Wood Preserver for New Fence

Hi, I've just had a new picket fence (3 ft high) installed round part of my front garden - it's about 25 yds long.

Can anybody give me an idea of how much wood preserver I should buy please - it is treated wood but I'd like to give it a coat of something a bit darker.

Thanks.
Old 27-08-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2012 10:41, Sadge wrote:
Hi, I've just had a new picket fence (3 ft high) installed round part of
my front garden - it's about 25 yds long.

Can anybody give me an idea of how much wood preserver I should buy
please - it is treated wood but I'd like to give it a coat of something
a bit darker.

Thanks.

How long is a piece of string?
Some wood soaks up more than others, dry wood will take up more than
damp. Some preservatives soak in more than others (Cuprinol soaks in well)
Best read the tin of what you are thinking of and work it out from there.
Old 27-08-2012, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sadge
writes

--
Sadge

If it were a solid fence that would be 25 y2 each side i.e. 50 y2.

You then need to measure the gap between each vertical and subtract
thickness of each edge and calculate equivalent y2 and subtract from
total. That gives you the area to be covered. You will probably need to
convert that to metric. Then look on the tin for coverage guide for the
type of wood, rough or planed. Divide into total and you have your
answer.

--
hugh
Old 30-08-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh ] wrote in news:7s9drIE0B9OQFAO7
@nospam.raefell.co.uk:

In message , Sadge
writes
[...]

LOL, how complicated can this get?
Work out the surface area of one pail and multiply it by the total number
of pails. Same with the posts and rails. Simple.
If you give me the pofile of each timber and linear for post and rail, I
will work it out for you.

Baz
Old 30-08-2012, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
hugh ] wrote in news:7s9drIE0B9OQFAO7
:

In message , Sadge
writes
[...]

Or go buy a 5 litre tin and if you run out go buy another one.
--
hugh

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Portsmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadge View Post

Can anybody give me an idea of how much wood preserver I should buy please - it is treated wood but I'd like to give it a coat of something a bit darker.

Thanks.
Hi Sadge

Its not a dark stain but is a brilliant wood preservative. Never Green - Creosote, Cleaning Supplies, Roof Cleaning, Mould Treatment, Driveway Cleaning. It's an antimicrobial continuously killing bacteria and prevents the growth of mould on your fence so it doesn't turn green.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cleaning' (http://www.maxnevergreen.com). It's an antimicrobial
continuously killing bacteria and prevents the growth of mould on your
fence so it doesn't turn green.

Worth mentioning that despite the page title on the website, this is
not a creosote product (creosote has been banned by the good ol' EU
from sale to the DIY market since, I think, 2003).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM
wood fence and vines dr who Lawns 2 30-04-2004 09:02 PM
wood fence and evergreen flowering vine? dr who Gardening 4 23-04-2004 06:02 PM
wood fence and vines dr who Roses 0 22-04-2004 08:09 PM
Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence! The Wobulator Gardening 19 19-07-2003 03:52 AM