Old 27-08-2012, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Loganberries

I currently grow my loganberries on a cordon, running north south. This
means that the fruit develops on the east and west side. I've noticed
that the east facing fruit tends to develop earlier and larger than the
west side fruit (both sides are fairly open).

As I am comtemplating a revamp of the fruit area (need to replace the
raspberries) would it be better to locate the cordon east west, with the
north side facing some nearby shrubs so that all the fruit will develop
on the south side?

Any one got any thoughts?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 27-08-2012, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/27/2012 06:44 PM, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I currently grow my loganberries on a cordon, running north south. This
means that the fruit develops on the east and west side. I've noticed
that the east facing fruit tends to develop earlier and larger than the
west side fruit (both sides are fairly open).

As I am comtemplating a revamp of the fruit area (need to replace the
raspberries) would it be better to locate the cordon east west, with the
north side facing some nearby shrubs so that all the fruit will develop
on the south side?

Any one got any thoughts?

I have mine on a cordon east-west as you describe, and the fruit mostly
develops on the south side. There's heavy shade to the west so it does
tend to go east more.

Mine are only OK cropping, I think mostly because I forget about them
and don't fertilize.

Don't know if it will but HTH.

-E
Old 28-08-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote
I currently grow my loganberries on a cordon, running north south. This
means that the fruit develops on the east and west side. I've noticed
that the east facing fruit tends to develop earlier and larger than the
west side fruit (both sides are fairly open).

As I am comtemplating a revamp of the fruit area (need to replace the
raspberries) would it be better to locate the cordon east west, with the
north side facing some nearby shrubs so that all the fruit will develop
on the south side?

Any one got any thoughts?

Our Loganberry has one more year to prove itself worthwhile or it's out. The
Boisenberry is coming out this winter, too much of a thug and not that good
a cropper either.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.