GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do leeks need frosting to taste better? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204965-do-leeks-need-frosting-taste-better.html)

David in Normandy[_8_] 28-08-2012 07:41 PM

Do leeks need frosting to taste better?

Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.

Jim S 29-08-2012 12:22 AM

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:41:38 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.

Nah, that's parsnips.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Martin Brown 29-08-2012 08:14 AM

On 28/08/2012 19:41, David in Normandy wrote:
Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.

No they need cold weather to make hot leeks appealing.

Sloes need frosting before they are usable.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 29-08-2012 10:39 AM

Do leeks need frosting to taste better?

In article ,
am says...

Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.

As others have said, no I dont think so. However they do get stronger
with age, so may be you were too keen and should have left them in the
ground longer. Of course, the longer you leave them, the more risk of
running to seed or animal damage!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

[email protected] 29-08-2012 10:54 AM

Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/08/2012 19:41, David in Normandy wrote:
Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.

No they need cold weather to make hot leeks appealing.

That's your personal taste. I don't know why modern leeks tend
to taste bland, but even traditional varieties not harvested until
spring do. Either it's my age, or they need conditions that I
can't provide - like poor or iron-bearing soil.

Sloes need frosting before they are usable.

A common myth. They ripen very slowly, even after they go black,
so early sloes are often very acrid. But the temperature has
little if anything to do with it, except that frost often
occurs before sloes are ripe!

I have harvested them late when there was a very mild autumn,
before the first frosts, and they were fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

S Viemeister[_2_] 01-09-2012 01:53 AM

On 8/31/2012 8:14 PM, wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
Harvested some leeks today for the evening meal. They tasted bland
somehow, even the wife commented so it wasn't just my taste-buds. Do
leeks need to get frosted before they taste better? This must be the
first time I've harvested any before the frosts.
Nah, that's parsnips.

And sprouts

And kail.

Kale needs hail?