Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I prune my utterly non productive apple tree now?

On Sunday, 2 September 2012 16:36:11 UTC+1, miljee wrote:
In Hampshire. This tree produced well last year, but this year the few

blossom that set got no further than one inch big apples, the few that

then survived being nicked by the squirrels!

It looks healthy enough (sorry, I don't know the variety, but it's about

3m tall and produces medium sized, red and green apples) and I know some

apple trees produce well in alternate years. It has loads of new

shoots.

Can I get stuck in a give it a reasonable prune now or should I wait til

the 'correct' time, after the (non-existent!) harvest?

Thanks.

--

miljee

This is a rotten year for apples, since it has grown OK I would leave it alone and see how it does next year and let's hope it is a better year.
The problem was in spring when the blossom should have been pollinated but most of it didn't even open and if it did hardly anything was flying to pollinate it.
Rod
Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rod
writes
[...]

If it needs pruning (ie new shoots would make it too large or look like
competing with next year's fruit) you can prune it whenever you find it
convenient.
--
Sue ]