Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's eating my swet peas?

My sweet peas are just coming into flower - I know they late, it's a
long story. I had a look at them this evening, and several flower stalks
have been eaten from the top dow, you can even see the remains of where
the flowers were! One stalk had one open flower, the rest eaten!

My only though is a pair of collared doves that seem to have taken
residence in the garden at the moment, but upto now they've been doing a
good jib clearing the lawn of the seeds that the tits and sparrows drop.

Not seen a squirrel recently, but I dont rule him out.

Any other possibilities?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/09/2012 20:04, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My sweet peas are just coming into flower - I know they late, it's a
long story. I had a look at them this evening, and several flower stalks
have been eaten from the top dow, you can even see the remains of where
the flowers were! One stalk had one open flower, the rest eaten!

My only though is a pair of collared doves that seem to have taken
residence in the garden at the moment, but upto now they've been doing a
good jib clearing the lawn of the seeds that the tits and sparrows drop.

Not seen a squirrel recently, but I dont rule him out.

Any other possibilities?

I've had a similar problem with my runner beans, and the culprits are
sparrows - don't remember it ever happening before.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/09/2012 09:22, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On 04/09/2012 20:04, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My sweet peas are just coming into flower - I know they late, it's a
long story. I had a look at them this evening, and several flower stalks
have been eaten from the top dow, you can even see the remains of where
the flowers were! One stalk had one open flower, the rest eaten!

My only though is a pair of collared doves that seem to have taken
residence in the garden at the moment, but upto now they've been doing a
good jib clearing the lawn of the seeds that the tits and sparrows drop.

Not seen a squirrel recently, but I dont rule him out.

Any other possibilities?

I've had a similar problem with my runner beans, and the culprits are
sparrows - don't remember it ever happening before.

Thanks,not thought of the sparrows, we've got plenty of those around the
feeders and on the trellis where the sweet peas are. I would have
thought they were too busy fighting and squabbling over access to the
feeders to bother, will have to watch them and see.

Having kept a close eye on sparrow visits today, not seen them anywhere
near the sweet peas, plenty on the feeder tho'

Ok, thanks, although they seem to have stopped attacking my runner beans
too.

When they were getting at them it was also from the top down, so I still
think they could be the culprits.