Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why not?

Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got into this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a single thing about it, and for many people it would be a good way to get out of impossible financial situations, relatively easily.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2012 07:53, Guy Fawkes wrote:
Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got into this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a single thing about it, and for many people it would be a good way to get out of impossible financial situations, relatively easily.

It is already grown as a commercial hemp fibre crop both here and to a
much greater extent in France. The farm cultivar has been bred to not
contain the active ingredient that you seek in any significant quantity.

China is the biggest producer with 80% and France second with 15% of the
world market. UK is mostly too cool for it to grow well. That is why the
enforcement guys use thermal IR cameras to find illegal farms.
(although the waste heat is usually a side effect of the growlamps)

No particular skill is required apart from obtaining the seed. It is a
rather large ugly and conspicuous plant. An elderly neighbour had one
growing from spilt birdseed and clearly had no idea what it was.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:40:53 +0100, Sacha wrote:

What is now known about the effects of long-term smoking of cannabis is
far too worrying to be lightheared about it.

Same can be said about smoking tobacco and, to a lesser extent, drinking
alcohol...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Guy Fawkes wrote in
:

Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got
into this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a
single thing about it, and for many people it would be a good way to
get out of impossible financial situations, relatively easily.

Steerpike again.... YAWN

Do us all a favour and ease your own financial situation and cancel your
account with your ISP.

No drug crazed louts here please. It would upset the rest of the group if
you choked on your own vomit.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-09-07 11:38:19 +0100, Martin said:

Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got into
this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a single thing ab
out it, and for many people it would be a good way to get out of impossible
financial situations, relatively easily.

Possibly because it's illegal, it's an ugly plant and because we don't
all do drugs? I wouldn't be involved with anything like that for a
million pounds. What is now known about the effects of long-term
smoking of cannabis is far too worrying to be lightheared about it.
Imo.

Used long term, in large quantities, it's almost as bad as tobacco.

Tobacco doesn't make people psychotic.

The evidence that cannabis does is very dubious. Many millions
(perhaps billions) of pounds have been put into research aiming
to prove that cannabis is harmful, but it took five decades before
any could be found that would stand up to even cursory analysis.
That wasn't money spent on investigating whether it is harmful
and, if so, in which ways and how much, but in scratching around
trying to find SOME evidence to hang onto cannabis.

One point often missed by non-statisticians is that, if you do
a thousand separate investigations into whether X is harmful,
you will get (on average) one that says that it is at the 0.1%
level of significance (highly significant), even if it is not
harmful at all. And, yes, there have been that many.

I haven't looked at the actual research papers, but I am pretty
sure that the most that has been shown is a small association
between long-term, heavy cannabis use and some psychological
problems. Plus an association between heavy use in adolescence
and some other ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
wrote:
On 2012-09-07 11:38:19 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

I heard a report somewhere that smoking will be banned in the next 20 years.
The ban can't come soon enough for me.

Mike

Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

This will do for me. You need to scroll down a little
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt.../cannabis.aspx

To describe it as bigoted is probably unfair, but a quick glance
indicates that it is extremely biassed, and frankly counts as
propaganda rather than fact. I am sorry, but the reason that the
reigning fanatics can get away with so much is that so few people
are capable of analysing data.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-09-07 19:31:10 +0100, said:

In article ,

Sacha wrote:

This will do for me. You need to scroll down a little

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt.../cannabis.aspx

describe it as bigoted is probably unfair, but a quick glance

indicates that it is extremely biassed, and frankly counts as

propaganda rather than fact. I am sorry, but the reason that the

reigning fanatics can get away with so much is that so few people

are capable of analysing data.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

It's written by professionals who deal with the fall out. And some of

the study involved thousands of people. The comment on those studies

shows a lack of bias, imo. I rather think that the Royal College of

Psychiatrists has people working for it who can analyse data.

Importantly, too, few if any, hard drug user has not started without

smoking cannabis. I'll pass, thanks. We know a young person in their

30s who was 'allowed' to smoke cannabis in their teens and has now been

diagnosed schizophrenic. There is no other person in their family with

that illness. For me, the evidence is strong enough and appears to be

building.

--

Sacha

www.hillhousenursery.com

South Devon

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Guess it was probably written by the same type of "professional" who warned us all about Iraqi WMD's?

Amusing thing about those who talk out of their arses about drugs, is that most do drugs like alcohol and tobacco themselves, which are to all intents and purposes far more damaging than cannabis, but bring the crooks running the country billions in tax revenues.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 7, 2012 3:27:30 PM UTC+1, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message ...

In article , Sacha

[...]

For once I would have to agree Mike............however the crooks running the country get an awful lot of tax revenue from tobacco so not likely to happen any time soon.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-09-07 07:53:54 +0100, Guy Fawkes said:

Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got into

this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a single thing ab

out it, and for many people it would be a good way to get out of impossible

financial situations, relatively easily.

Possibly because it's illegal, it's an ugly plant and because we don't

all do drugs? I wouldn't be involved with anything like that for a

million pounds. What is now known about the effects of long-term

smoking of cannabis is far too worrying to be lightheared about it.

Imo.

--

Sacha

www.hillhousenursery.com

South Devon

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Would you cultivate cannabis if it were made legal? Have you even used cannabis yourself, and if you feel very strongly about drugs which adversely effect users health, would you fully support a blanket ban on all tobacco products?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
What is now known about the effects of long-term smoking of cannabis is
far too worrying to be lightheared about it. Imo.

And it's all the idiots who use it for recreational purposes that then
make it difficult to obtain for treating conditions such as MS.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes

What is now known about the effects of long-term smoking of cannabis is
far too worrying to be lightheared about it. Imo.

And it's all the idiots who use it for recreational purposes that then
make it difficult to obtain for treating conditions such as MS.

Actually, no, sorry. The prejudice against and demonisation of
cannabis started something like a century ago, and I have absolutely
no idea why. It used to be part of the British Pharmacopeia, but
has been significantly more restricted than morphine, heroin and
cocaine for a century. It's very odd.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:33:09 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
In article ,

Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Sacha

writes

What is now known about the effects of long-term smoking of cannabis is

far too worrying to be lightheared about it. Imo.

And it's all the idiots who use it for recreational purposes that then

make it difficult to obtain for treating conditions such as MS.

Actually, no, sorry. The prejudice against and demonisation of

cannabis started something like a century ago, and I have absolutely

no idea why. It used to be part of the British Pharmacopeia, but

has been significantly more restricted than morphine, heroin and

cocaine for a century. It's very odd.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

Its not that odd Nick. The powers that be understand only too well how easy it is to cultivate cannabis on a DIY basis, and should it be legalised the trade in far more dangerous drugs such as alcohol and tobacco would pretty much be finished overnight!

I doubt very much whether any of the talking heads on here, who dont understand that cannabis is illegal for tax reasons, have ever tried it, and I would guess that if they had any users of legal drugs would far prefer it!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 8:09:07 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
In article , Sacha

writes

What is now known about the effects of long-term smoking of cannabis is

far too worrying to be lightheared about it. Imo.

And it's all the idiots who use it for recreational purposes that then

make it difficult to obtain for treating conditions such as MS.

--

Janet Tweedy

Dalmatian Telegraph

http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Janet I wonder do you drink alcohol or smoke tobacco? Have you tried cannabis, and do you feel that making it illegal for tax reasons is a good idea, bearing in mind how much more damaging the popular legal drugs are, and how much they cost the taxpayer every year in terms of healthcare issues?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Guy Fawkes wrote:

Actually, no, sorry. The prejudice against and demonisation of
cannabis started something like a century ago, and I have absolutely
no idea why. It used to be part of the British Pharmacopeia, but
has been significantly more restricted than morphine, heroin and
cocaine for a century. It's very odd.

Its not that odd Nick. The powers that be understand only too well
how easy it is to cultivate cannabis on a DIY basis, and should it
be legalised the trade in far more dangerous drugs such as alcohol
and tobacco would pretty much be finished overnight!

That's not my point, and is doubtful anyway. For most of that
century, it has been legal for doctors to prescribe a huge range
of drugs, including most of the ones used recreationally, but not
cannabis. The claim was that it had no medicinal purpose, despite
known facts to the contrary and it having been in the pharmacopeia
at one time.

The most extreme example of the prejudice was when the evidence for
its efficacy in MS started to emerge, and some very well-respected
medical researchers applied for a permit to see if the claims were
founded in fact. Their application was flatly rejected on the
grounds that there was no proven benefit, therefore research into
whether it had any benefit could not be permitted.

It's not harmless, but almost all of the cannabis-related harm is
caused by the fact that it is treated like heroin, morphine and
cocaine. That has been concluded by innumerable official reports,
senior police officers and many others.

Anyway, enough is enough on this sordid politics, which I shall
never understand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.