Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mower update

Most of you will recall that a month ago I posted complaining that my mower
at the lottie had gone from the shed.

Well, last week my plot partner texted me to say that it was back! She had
arrived to find it parked under some plastic we have put down on an area we
currently don't have under cultivation.

I've not been down the lottie for a couple of weeks due to a chest
infection, but yesterday, despite still wheezing like a leaky set of
bagpipes, I went to pick some raspberries and to have a look at the mower.

Apart from the fact that the handle has been dismantled, it has come back in
better condition then it went! It has been thoroughly cleaned, the blades
sharpened and repainted! Now I can only think of two reasons for this.
Either I have a gardening Fairy Godmother, or it had been destined for a
boot sale, but all the ranting I, my plot partner and a couple of friends
have been doing prompted a second thought on someone's behalf.

I know which scenario I think is most likely ...

--
Kathy

Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-09-08 23:30:45 +0100, "Kathy" said:

[...]

Please - go round the allotments asking everyone to spread your warmest
thanks to your Fairy Gardener friend! It can spread nothing but goodwill
and perhaps a teensy dollop of shame to anyone whose intentions may not
have been entirely honourable. I think you got very, very lucky and
perhaps someone was being truly kind. I hope!

Oh, we shall make sure everyone knows it's back. It will be mentioned at the
Macmillan coffee morning - which I can't go to as I'm working, and also put
it in the field newsletter.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:30:45 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

[...]

Can you lock it down to something in the shed (Cement in a hook to
loop a bike lock through?)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

It would have to be a free standing block, as the shed has a wooden floor.
It's only a little shed, and a block heavy enough for them not to run off
with that as well would take up too much space, but thanks for the
suggestion.

--
Kathy

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:56:50 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

better condition then it went! It has been thoroughly cleaned, the blades
sharpened and repainted! Now I can only think of two reasons for this.
Either I have a gardening Fairy Godmother, or it had been destined for a
boot sale, but all the ranting I, my plot partner and a couple of friends
have been doing prompted a second thought on someone's behalf.

I know which scenario I think is most likely ...

Can you lock it down to something in the shed (Cement in a hook to
loop a bike lock through?)

It would have to be a free standing block, as the shed has a wooden floor.
It's only a little shed, and a block heavy enough for them not to run off
with that as well would take up too much space, but thanks for the
suggestion.

Just chaining a fork or spade to it will make it much harder to move
without it being obvious it's being taken without permission.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

That and painting it various bright colours including your post code will
make it less attractive to would be car booters
Something of a result to get it back, first time I have heard of it
happening

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 11, 12:15*pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

That and painting it various bright colours including your post code will
make it less attractive to would be car booters

I had a pink mower for a while, on that basis, until I realised that
it was so awful I would prefer someone to nick it,
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

That and painting it various bright colours including your post code will
make it less attractive to would be car booters

I had a pink mower for a while, on that basis, until I realised that
it was so awful I would prefer someone to nick it,

I'm going to paint my name, plot number and home post code on it with bright
red nail varnish.

--
Kathy

Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

That and painting it various bright colours including your post code will
make it less attractive to would be car booters

I had a pink mower for a while, on that basis, until I realised that
it was so awful I would prefer someone to nick it,

I'm going to paint my name, plot number and home post code on it with
bright red nail varnish.

Nail varnish is much easier to remove than paint
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote:

I'm going to paint my name, plot number and home post code on it with bright
red nail varnish.

--

Better to get one of those vibrating engraving tools and cut the
information into a prominent place on the body....paint won't easily cover