Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Default When to grow?

We've nearly finished clearing all the weeds away from our new garden. Just wanted to get some advice on what to grow and when. I have bought some bulbs (alliums and tulips) - am I right in thinking it's too early to plant the tulips?

I also want to buy a few shrubs. When is the best time to plant decidious shrubs (such as Cotinus Grace) and evergreen shrubs (considering a berberis possibly). Can they be planted along with any new herbaceous perennials now, or is it better to wait until spring?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:24:47 +0000, Kai_63
wrote:

We've nearly finished clearing all the weeds away from our new garden.
Just wanted to get some advice on what to grow and when. I have bought
some bulbs (alliums and tulips) - am I right in thinking it's too early
to plant the tulips?

I also want to buy a few shrubs. When is the best time to plant
decidious shrubs (such as Cotinus Grace) and evergreen shrubs
(considering a berberis possibly). Can they be planted along with any
new herbaceous perennials now, or is it better to wait until spring?

Thanks

Often, autumn planting is recommended because plants have a chance to
establish root systems through the autumn/winter before their spring
growth starts.

Personally, I prefer to plant in spring. I may buy things in the
autumn but usually leave them in the cold frame or unheated greenhouse
through the winter (maybe potting on into bigger pots if they seem to
need it). I've lost too many new plants in soggy ground over winter.
The wet kills more than the cold.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Whoops - I didn't refer to bulbs. Alliums, daffodils, crocus can go in
the ground now - it's the best time to plant them. I would leave
tulips until later, say November time. This is because if planted now
the shoots will break ground while it's still too cold for them and
you'd lose a lot. If you've bought tulips already, it might be an idea
to remove them from their packs and spread them out so they're not
touching on some newspaper somewhere dry and dark.

Cheers, Jake