GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to use a Handy aerator? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205128-how-use-handy-aerator.html)

Timothy Murphy 12-09-2012 11:35 AM

How to use a Handy aerator?

I have acquired a Handy aerator/scarifier -
the simplest model they make -
which has spikes to dig into the soil,
with small wheels, presumably to roll the device along.

The trouble is, one cannot roll the thing
as the spikes stick into the ground and prevent it moving.

I can see how to use it for scarifying,
but not for aerating?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 12-09-2012 11:45 AM

How to use a Handy aerator?

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have acquired a Handy aerator/scarifier -
the simplest model they make -
which has spikes to dig into the soil,
with small wheels, presumably to roll the device along.

The trouble is, one cannot roll the thing
as the spikes stick into the ground and prevent it moving.

I can see how to use it for scarifying,
but not for aerating?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy

I have never used such a thing, but have you tried pulling rather than
pushing it?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Lobster 14-09-2012 02:22 PM

How to use a Handy aerator?

On 12/09/2012 11:35, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have acquired a Handy aerator/scarifier -
the simplest model they make -
which has spikes to dig into the soil,
with small wheels, presumably to roll the device along.

The trouble is, one cannot roll the thing
as the spikes stick into the ground and prevent it moving.

I got one of those and know what you mean - the answer was just to push
it *very* hard! To the extent that you'd almost fall forward over the
top of it. Extremely hard work, and it was utterly useless. I would
'unacquire' yours rapidly, if I were you.

David

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 14-09-2012 02:37 PM

How to use a Handy aerator?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:22:25 +0100, Lobster wrote:

The trouble is, one cannot roll the thing
as the spikes stick into the ground and prevent it moving.

I got one of those and know what you mean - the answer was just to push
it *very* hard!

Aren't the spikes pivoted at their base? You don't stand much chance of
moving it at all if they aren't. Even if they are you still have to shove
'em into the fairly firm ground that most lawns have.

--
Cheers
Dave.