Old 16-09-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What should I plant

I have just moved to a house that has a greenhouse and vegetable plot.
What can be planted at this time of year?

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 16-09-2012, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

I have just moved to a house that has a greenhouse and vegetable plot.
What can be planted at this time of year?

Steve

In your veg. plot, broad beans and peas sow seed after a soak in cold water
for 24 hours.Also if it is not too late spring cabbage plants.
Hope this is helpful.

Baz
Old 16-09-2012, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
I have just moved to a house that has a greenhouse and vegetable plot.
What can be planted at this time of year?

Probably not too late to plant some salad leaves, especially in the
greenhouse.

Marshalls Seeds reckon you should plant onions, shallots and garlic in
October or November.
Broad beans in October.
They also suggest planting green manure in vacant beds to keep weeds down
and dig in during Spring to keep weeds down and improve fertility.

HTH

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 17-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
In your veg. plot, broad beans and peas sow seed after a soak in cold water
for 24 hours.
Autumn sowing peas and beans is a risk though. Safer to sow in pots indoors in the spring and plant out later.

You can plant a green manure on your veg plot now. Certainly garlic has to be planted Oct/Nov. You might just get away with winter cabbage if you are quick. There are winter spinaches and mustard greens you can sow into October. And you might just get away with chard or beet-spinach.

Unfortunately you are a bit late for sowing winter radish. I tried sowing them late August last year and it was too late. They didn't swell before it got too cold, and although they looked nice when they eventually fattened up in the spring, they were all tough and stringy. You are probably a bit late for over-wintering onions too, really shoudl have gone in a month ago.

This is an excellent site for info and seeds suitable for garden cultivation, rather than the commercial varieties usually sold in garden centres. Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue

what should i plant Mac United Kingdom 9 28-10-2003 01:42 PM
Should I bring in eucalyptus plant in zone 6b for winter??????? NAearthMOM Gardening 6 24-10-2003 01:02 AM
Should I plant celosia (cockscomb) in pairs? Bernie Gardening 3 16-07-2003 03:52 PM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 04-03-2003 07:49 AM