Old 23-09-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sorry courgettes.

wrote in message

Remind me, must nip to the allotment later, cos last time I was there it
looked like the one remaining squash-type-plant (which I had assumed was
a trailing courgette or a pumpkin or possibly a butternut) had managed
to start looking fruity, and it had some tiny patty pans on it! So I may
actually /finally/ get a little squash or two this year!

Good luck!!!!

(The boys will be sad at the lack of pumpkin carving this year, though)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 23-09-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

I wonder if a gardener can pick up and carry/transmit spores, disease or
parasites and such on their clothing or even on the bodyhair, and carry
them to the garden. Sort of cross contamination. The reason why I wonder
about this is because my vegetable garden is the only one I know of for
a mile or two, and I keep on getting different pests and diseases year
after year. This year it is the gooseberries, which have been here in
this garden for 40 years(so I am told) without any problems.
Then comes mildew 3 years ago and this year sawfly. I havn't been able
to grow any veg this year, but next year I know that there will be some
insect or infestation to burst my balloon.

How disheartening after all that hard work

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 23-09-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Baz wrote:

I wonder if a gardener can pick up and carry/transmit spores, disease or
parasites and such on their clothing or even on the bodyhair, and carry
them to the garden. Sort of cross contamination. The reason why I wonder
about this is because my vegetable garden is the only one I know of for
a mile or two, and I keep on getting different pests and diseases year
after year. This year it is the gooseberries, which have been here in
this garden for 40 years(so I am told) without any problems.
Then comes mildew 3 years ago and this year sawfly. I havn't been able
to grow any veg this year, but next year I know that there will be some
insect or infestation to burst my balloon.

They can, but that's not the usual reason. Blight overwinters on
a wide variety of garden plants and weeds, and is wind-borne.
The same applies to most pests.

However, the root cause of variation with blight, mildew, rust
etc. is the weather. They thrive under specific circumstances
and, without those, you don't see them. That doesn't stop them
being ubiquitous, which they are.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-09-2012, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help for Heros?

"Tickety-BooHoo" wrote in message ...

Be aware that the person that you are responding to is actually "steerpike"
who has 'morphed' to Tony99 to respond to his own post.

He also posts as 'ken' - along with many other pseudo names to try and
confuse people.

As a matter of interest, he is actually named Christopher Stevens

Well Judith - that's as maybe but did you have to resurrect the gladly dead
thread
to inform of us of it. (:-(

Regards
"mr grumpy" pete in cheshire

Old 27-09-2012, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:34:12 AM UTC+1, Pete wrote:
"Tickety-BooHoo" wrote in message ...

Be aware that the person that you are responding to is actually "steerpike"

who has 'morphed' to Tony99 to respond to his own post.

He also posts as 'ken' - along with many other pseudo names to try and

confuse people.

As a matter of interest, he is actually named Christopher Stevens

Well Judith - that's as maybe but did you have to resurrect the gladly dead

thread

to inform of us of it. (:-(

Regards

"mr grumpy" pete in cheshire

Tickety likes to get a point over after the event..........he only started to offer support to an Exeter loony, 3 years after his ridiculous bullying legal action had been laid to rest!
Old 27-09-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , John
writes
I will assume that your deliberate attempt to avoid the subject of getting off your arse and doing some honest charitable work yourself, means
that you are not the slightest bit interested in doing any hard work, but you just prefer the easy option of making unsubstantiated allegations
from behind your firewall?

If you want to rail against organisations making enormous profits, you could start with the energy companies.

Are you frightened of them?

I thought the Gardening Leave charity (www.gardeningleave.org/) was On
Topic for this newsgroup and actually seems very worthwhile but
unfortunately only up in the north at the moment. i would be happy to
volunteer time etc. to help if they started it up down here.

Any charity set up to help ex-servicemen has my vote anyway, having just
laid a wreath at the Northern Ireland Veterans Association annual
service at Alrewas nat. Arboretum last Saturday

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-09-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help for Heroes?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

Janet I have visited Alrewas quite a few times representing various ex
Service Associations I am involved with, and to me, the most "lump in the
throat" scene/site, is all the empty panels. Panels waiting for names to go
up.

And my Grandson has just joined the Royal Marine Band Service in the Corps
of Drums

Mike

Old 27-09-2012, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I thought the Gardening Leave charity (www.gardeningleave.org/) was On
Topic for this newsgroup and actually seems very worthwhile but
unfortunately only up in the north at the moment. i would be happy to
volunteer time etc. to help if they started it up down here.

Thanks, Janet. That one is new to me.

Any charity set up to help ex-servicemen has my vote anyway, having just
laid a wreath at the Northern Ireland Veterans Association annual service
at Alrewas nat. Arboretum last Saturday

Absolutely!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steerpike wrote:
[...]

Archived for future reference

Old 27-09-2012, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:16:30 PM UTC+1, Tickety-BooHoo wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

[...]

Lol........a post very much along the lines of those made by bunt, shortly before he decided to immerse himself in the brown stuff................
Old 27-09-2012, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

[...]

Archived for future reference - as for the "brown stuff", remember the old
saying:

Winning the first battle doesn't mean you win the war!

Old 28-09-2012, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I would imagine that with someone such as yourself assisting him bunt is likely to lose even more miserably than the first time.........
Old 28-09-2012, 02:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:56:40 PM UTC+1, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Helping the US to get their hands on others mineral resources, is surely worth a few thousand dead UK service people though Mike?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
I watched something on Beechgrove about a garden with raised beds for
people with spinal injuries. It looked to me as if the design could
be better. Narrower beds so that a person in a wheel chair can easily
reach plants the middle. Maybe something like using hanging baskets
would work too
--

Martin

And suitable for paraplegics but teraplegics might fall over! They could
really only reach stuff that they could get under with their wheelchairs
as they wouldn't be able to lean forward without falling over!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Heros or war criminals? Steerpike United Kingdom 11 03-10-2012 12:24 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM