Old 18-09-2012, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Experiment : Wormery Products

I emptied my wormery about three months ago and I tried an experiment with the
worms' waste.

I filled two posts with the pure worm waste - and two pots with seed compost
plus vermiculite mix.

I planted two F1 courgette seeds in each pot.

I was amazed at how far in front the worm waste growths were ahead of the
others: they really took off - once the first leaves had appeared.

When I came to have a look at the roots (I did not need the courgette plants) -
I pulled the contents of the plant pots apart - the plant pots with the worm
waste in were absolutely full of very, very fine hair like roots - which I
guess explains the much better growth of the plants.

I will definitely use the worm waste for growing from seed next year - I will
experiment with different ratios, as well as the pure waste.

Old 18-09-2012, 05:43 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I emptied my wormery about three months ago and I tried an experiment with the
worms' waste.

I filled two posts with the pure worm waste - and two pots with seed compost
plus vermiculite mix.

I planted two F1 courgette seeds in each pot.

I was amazed at how far in front the worm waste growths were ahead of the
others: they really took off - once the first leaves had appeared.

When I came to have a look at the roots (I did not need the courgette plants) -
I pulled the contents of the plant pots apart - the plant pots with the worm
waste in were absolutely full of very, very fine hair like roots - which I
guess explains the much better growth of the plants.

I will definitely use the worm waste for growing from seed next year - I will
experiment with different ratios, as well as the pure waste.
It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with potting compost rather than seed compost, which is low in nutrients and designed only for the early stages of seedlings, before potting on.

Wormery products Aardvark United Kingdom 5 20-10-2004 07:04 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 04:20 PM
how to make a wormery teapot United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 08:30 PM
Wormery Pauline Jones United Kingdom 6 13-11-2002 11:09 PM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM