Old 25-09-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default GQT

Martin wrote:
Our central heating is controlled by a thermostat, which knows when it
is cold.

So is ours, but I switch it OFF during the summer. :-)
18' in summer is nice, 18' in winter is a bit chilly, if I'm sat around.

Old 25-09-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Nick was sailing on the south coast this weekend. Meant to be a trip
to France, but the weather was off. He sent me a text message on Saturday
morning saying "Why do I do this??"

I bet you have asked that question many times :-)

I haven't asked why /I/ do it often, as I don't do it often. And I don't
think Nick has been sailing since we were in the Carribean over a year ago
now! So no, probably not.

But he's doing Gibraltar to Malta next week (takes up to 2 weeks, weather
depending).
Old 25-09-2012, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 25 Sep 2012 11:49:05 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:
Nick was sailing on the south coast this weekend. Meant to be a trip
to France, but the weather was off. He sent me a text message on
Saturday
morning saying "Why do I do this??"
I bet you have asked that question many times :-)

I haven't asked why /I/ do it often, as I don't do it often. And I don't
think Nick has been sailing since we were in the Carribean over a year ago
now! So no, probably not.

But he's doing Gibraltar to Malta next week (takes up to 2 weeks, weather

and Israel/Iran WWIII depending.

depending).

--

Martin

delete WWIII there won't be one in the next 50 years at least.

Mike

Old 25-09-2012, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
and Israel/Iran WWIII depending.

That would be typical Nick luck scale catastrophe ...
Old 25-09-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
There's nobody who's sailed that hasn't asked themselves that at some
point. Maybe the answer is "It's so nice when you stop"!!

I was having similar thoughts in my yoga class on Monday ...

Old 26-09-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:acdjvaFs91aU4
@mid.individual.net:

Martin wrote:
Our central heating is controlled by a thermostat, which knows when it
is cold.

So is ours, but I switch it OFF during the summer. :-)
18' in summer is nice, 18' in winter is a bit chilly, if I'm sat around.

Thermal underwear is my choice instead of turning on the centeral heating
when it gets a bit chilly. Just do it, it is amazing how warm things get
when you have 2 similar minds. I hear.

Baz
Old 26-09-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2012 12:18, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:47:16 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

Yesterday the CalMac ship on Craignure (Mull) to Oban took 7 hours to do
a 45 minute crossing. They spent over six hours standing off outside
Oban waiting for a lull to get in.

It makes me wonder why they don't wait for the storm to pass.

Since the ship had left Oban just a little before I presume the master
had a reasonable hope of getting back in but you can never tell with the
interaction between tides and wind. I think hanging around at Graignure
wasn't an option either.
--
Phil Cook
Old 26-09-2012, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Now there I wouldn't even start. ;-) I'm absolutely hopeless at
'organised' exercise because it either bores me or makes me have fits
of the giggles.

Whereas I'm the opposite, if I'm not actually embarassed into doing it
'right' by having other people there, I just wander off and lose interest.
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was hilarious!
Old 27-09-2012, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was hilarious!

Crumbs! Sounds very 'splashy'!

It was almost a bit drowney! My mum went with me, who is a very good
swimmer, but not a very good zumbaer. She was way too deep, so she could
hardly move (meant to have water at navel to armpit height, she was up to
her chin most of the time!)

It was definitely fun, though. The kids doing karate next door came to
have a watch at one point, i think we were a little bit noisy!
Old 27-09-2012, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

The noise of waves hitting the ferry on Sunday night was deafening.
Once I thought we had collided with something. We had a cabin right at
the front. The bunks at the very front are along the length of the
boat, so more comfortable when it is rough. There wasn't much pitching
or rolling, just a lot of slamming into waves ands being slammed by
waves. Every part of the boat was shuddering. A couple of times there
was the feeling and the noise you get in a sailing boat when the boat
falls off a wave. I kept visualising that video of the cruise ship off
New Zealand in a storm without stabilisers and hoped the engines
wouldn't fail. It was already rough before we got out of the Humber.
Despite the weather we arrived on time. At least we didn't have to zig
zag up and down in the North Sea for 30 hours because it was unsafe to
enter the Europort. In the days when the ferry was only 4,000 tonnes,
this happened to friends several times. The approach to the Europort
is cluttered by a lot of anchored empty tankers and bulk carriers. The
Dutch cleared the seabed where the ships are anchored in August. they
dredged up more than 3 kilometres of anchor chain and lots of old
anchors.

I've only ever once been seasick on a ferry and it was just Dover to Calais
run many years ago.

Was it the Hull-Rotterdam run you were on? I've never found any problems
like that with that ferry. It sounds horrendous

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
Now there I wouldn't even start. ;-) I'm absolutely hopeless at
'organised' exercise because it either bores me or makes me have fits
of the giggles.

Whereas I'm the opposite, if I'm not actually embarassed into doing it
'right' by having other people there, I just wander off and lose interest.
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was hilarious!

What Is That???

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Yes it was the Hull Rotterdam ferry.

In the 1980s we had a crossing just after Xmas in a severe gale, when
there something was wrong with the engine and we drifted across the
Humber just after we departed from Hull. They got the engine going but
then announced we could only do a third of the normal speed and that
we would be very late arriving ... implicit "if at all".

Good grief

By the time
we reached the mouth of the Humber the problem was solved. At that
point they told the passengers that the waves were 26' high. One
advantage of travelling at night is that you can't see how scary it is
out there. The disadvantage is that I imagine it being worse. I
travelled on a day boat from Hoek to the Harwich a few weeks after the
Zeebrugge disaster in the most enormous gale. It took two tugs and a
replaced tow rope just to get the boat undocked. At sea it was really
horrific. Small coasters that we passed were almost submerging. We
arrived 7 hours late.

That would really put me off for life

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
It was almost a bit drowney! My mum went with me, who is a very good
swimmer, but not a very good zumbaer. She was way too deep, so she could
hardly move (meant to have water at navel to armpit height, she was up to
her chin most of the time!)

It was definitely fun, though. The kids doing karate next door came to
have a watch at one point, i think we were a little bit noisy!

I did aquarobics at a place in Greece once. It was hilarious and
genuinely good exercise. But there's a difference between strolling
into a pool you've been lying beside in hot sunshine and getting
dressed up to go to a pool to get undressed on a cold night in England!

I like aquaaerobics, but aquazumba was almost entirely nothing like it.
Old 27-09-2012, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Now there I wouldn't even start. ;-) I'm absolutely hopeless at
'organised' exercise because it either bores me or makes me have fits
of the giggles.

Whereas I'm the opposite, if I'm not actually embarassed into doing it
'right' by having other people there, I just wander off and lose interest.
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was hilarious!

What Is That???

Like zumba, but wetter!
Old 27-09-2012, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 27 Sep 2012 13:56:26 GMT, wrote:

Ophelia wrote:
Now there I wouldn't even start. ;-) I'm absolutely hopeless at
'organised' exercise because it either bores me or makes me have fits
of the giggles.

Whereas I'm the opposite, if I'm not actually embarassed into doing it
'right' by having other people there, I just wander off and lose
interest.
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was
hilarious!

What Is That???

Like zumba, but wetter!

Ideal for this summer.
--

Martin

Zumba. Is that the one you exercise to very loud boom boom boom 'music'?

Mike

GQT Microsoft News Server United Kingdom 5 03-03-2006 08:29 PM
GQT giggles Mike Lyle United Kingdom 1 27-03-2005 05:33 PM
GQT. Cherry tree recommendation? Lee and Kath United Kingdom 3 31-10-2004 09:20 AM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
GQT plant of the week for 29p Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 07:45 PM