Old 27-09-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default GQT

On 27/09/2012 11:52, Martin wrote:

In the 1980s we had a crossing just after Xmas in a severe gale,...
...I
travelled on a day boat from Hoek to the Harwich a few weeks after the
Zeebrugge disaster in the most enormous gale. It took two tugs and a
replaced tow rope just to get the boat undocked. At sea it was really
horrific. Small coasters that we passed were almost submerging. We
arrived 7 hours late.

I once travelled from Esbjerg to Newcastle in a severe gale. It took
three tugs to get the ship off the dock and I woke at least once in the
night by coming into sudden contact with the bunk above. Then when we
got off the ship the land felt like it was moving!
--
Phil Cook
Old 27-09-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Now there I wouldn't even start. ;-) I'm absolutely hopeless at
'organised' exercise because it either bores me or makes me have fits
of the giggles.

Whereas I'm the opposite, if I'm not actually embarassed into doing it
'right' by having other people there, I just wander off and lose
interest.
Did I mention I tried out Aqua Zumba a few weeks ago? It was hilarious!

What Is That???

Like zumba, but wetter!

Well, since I don't know what Zumba is ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/09/2012 12:52, Martin wrote:

The Cruel Sea was on TV recently. It contains old newsreel film of an
aircraft carrier in an Arctic convoy in a storm. An aircraft carrier
buries the front of the deck in a wave. In fact the film was taken in
an Atlantic convoy.

Possibly the same film clip is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwjrf0gZjIE

Otherwise known as "shipping it green".
--
Phil Cook
Old 27-09-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 27/09/2012 12:52, Martin wrote:

The Cruel Sea was on TV recently. It contains old newsreel film of an
aircraft carrier in an Arctic convoy in a storm. An aircraft carrier
buries the front of the deck in a wave. In fact the film was taken in
an Atlantic convoy.

Possibly the same film clip is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwjrf0gZjIE

Otherwise known as "shipping it green".
--
Phil Cook

At least the seas were rough and the ships were able to stand up to such
weather, not like Queen Victoria which would roll on wet blotting paper
................ second picture here and tell me where the rough sea is
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=4E36RV6K

Been on Queen Victoria ONCE :-( They ought to tie her up alongside the quay
and use her as a novelty hotel and throw the engine room key away

Mike

Old 27-09-2012, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Like zumba, but wetter!

Well, since I don't know what Zumba is ...

Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

Old 27-09-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Like zumba, but wetter!

Well, since I don't know what Zumba is ...

Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

rofl if only I had the energy now g How in the world do you still have
the energy to go to work, take care of children and your allotment after all
that ????

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Like zumba, but wetter!

Well, since I don't know what Zumba is ...

Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

:-((

I was in the BBC Radio Solent Studios here on the Isle of Wight trying to do
a live broadcast when a Fund Raising Zumba was going on in the same
building.

:-((

Not a very good sound proofed studio

Mike

Old 28-09-2012, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

rofl if only I had the energy now g How in the world do you still have
the energy to go to work, take care of children and your allotment after all
that ????

I cut out the unimportant bits, like housework. ;-)
Old 28-09-2012, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

rofl if only I had the energy now g How in the world do you still have
the energy to go to work, take care of children and your allotment after
all
that ????

I cut out the unimportant bits, like housework. ;-)

Uhuh! That makes sense ;o)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-09-2012, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:46:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Imagine 80s aerobics, put it to loud bouncy music, encourage people to
dance (and shout and clap and whoop and the like), add some more
wiggles
and shaking your bits. That's about it.

rofl if only I had the energy now g How in the world do you still
have
the energy to go to work, take care of children and your allotment
after
all
that ????

I cut out the unimportant bits, like housework. ;-)

Uhuh! That makes sense ;o)

The children do it.

Haha I wish her good luck with that one

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Uhuh! That makes sense ;o)

The children do it.
--

Martin

The housework or Zumba? (which is fun by the way if you also do circuit
classes and step)
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
The housework or Zumba? (which is fun by the way if you also do circuit
classes and step)

Circuits never appealed, but I love step.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
writes
Circuits never appealed, but I love step.

But keeps you mobile to carry on Gardening as does weight training
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"kay" wrote in message

'Ophelia[_4_ Wrote:
;969410']I was just listening to it this afternoon. One question was
from a woman
who lived in her motor home and wanted ideas for plants she could grow
in
it.
I have mentioned here that we are away for a lot of the year with
hubby's
work. I got fed up with renting houses so we bought a big caravan and
live
it that when we are away. The past couple of years, I grew some
tomatoes
in posts which travelled with us and they did very well. Not many of
course
but a treat to have fresh. This year I planted my courgette seeds in
pots.
If you have read my post on 'Sorry courgettes' you will know they
failed.
Do you think that is because they were in pots; because they were moved;
or
for weather reasons most others seem to have. When we came back last
month
I transferred the plants into a big container in the garden. They just
sat
there and sulked until they died off.

I don't think it's the pots. I grow mine in pots, so I can keep them in
the greenhouse which is free of slugs. This year mine were slow in
producing fruits, and a couple died off, though on the plus side they
haven't yet succumbed to mildew which they tend to do towards the end of
the season. Previous years I haven't had any problems with cropping. So
i think the bad cropping is to do with the weather - lack of sun, lack
of light, lack of heat. Probably not lack of pollinators because I hand
pollinate to be on the safe side.

Thanks, Kat. Mildew might have been a problem, but I wouldn't know how to
recognise it if it bit me on the bum

They started to grow and then suddenly they stopped and all the fruits
withered

--

I started my courgettes in pots and then planted them in the ground on heaps
of soil mixed with chicken muck.

GQT Microsoft News Server United Kingdom 5 03-03-2006 08:29 PM
GQT giggles Mike Lyle United Kingdom 1 27-03-2005 05:33 PM
GQT. Cherry tree recommendation? Lee and Kath United Kingdom 3 31-10-2004 09:20 AM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
GQT plant of the week for 29p Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 07:45 PM