Old 27-09-2012, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse WiFi Thermometer

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)
Old 27-09-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally
max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station
for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I
really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read
the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they
gave me
a refund)

The nearest I can get is one at Maplins (VW95D) but that is not PC
connectable and has not got good reviews, but it's cheap.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-09-2012, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/27/2012 7:15 AM, Judith wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

Try Maplin - they were advertising a nice-looking wifi-to-PC weather
station recently.
Old 27-09-2012, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:15:09 +0100, Judith
wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

Don't forget that the metal frame, metal staging etc., of the
greenhouse will interfere with the wifi signal and, at best, reduce
the effective communication distance. If I take my blackberry into a
greenhouse it loses its wifi connection but works ok on the mobile
phone network - different frequencies.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 27-09-2012, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:57:29 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Try Maplin - they were advertising a nice-looking wifi-to-PC weather
station recently.

Wireless weather stations is the better search term. The sensor links and
link to the base station will probably not be WiFi though. You should be
able to find a base station that will connect to a PC, that might be WiFi
or ethernet but far more likely to be USB.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-09-2012, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/09/2012 12:15, Judith wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/te...10-data-logger

Remember that serial ports are rare these days. You would have to
depend on a Serial-USB converter. Such devices are easy to obtain. and
are cheap, but sometimes the converted signals get corrupted. It may be
that the software is designed for Windows XP rather than Windows 7. See
the review he
http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/re...t/list/id/185/

--

Jeff
Old 28-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 27/09/2012 12:15, Judith wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

Technoline Temperature Humidity Data Logger

Remember that serial ports are rare these days. You would have to
depend on a Serial-USB converter. Such devices are easy to obtain. and
are cheap, but sometimes the converted signals get corrupted. It may be
that the software is designed for Windows XP rather than Windows 7. See
the review he
Technoline Temperature Humidity Data Logger

--

Jeff
I have an Oregon Scientific base station with 3 sensors that plugs into a PC's USB port

Weather | Weather Temperatures | Local Weather | Weather Forecast | Oregon Scientific

Also Davis do more upmarket ones.

Professional cabled and wireless weather stations and weather software for the home, education, and professional needs by Davis
Old 28-09-2012, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:06:30 +0000, Granity wrote:

Also Davis do more upmarket ones.

'Professional cabled and wireless weather stations and weather software
for the home, education, and professional needs by Davis'
(http://tinyurl.com/9bev2yy)

Yes Davis do *very* good weather stations. I've got the wireless VP2 -
can't fault it - it's great.

BUT it costs a fortune :-( Not really what you'd need just for greenhouse
temperatures.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 29-09-2012, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/09/2012 12:15, Judith wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

There are various similar devices - but they have an indoor base station for
reception of data, with no facility for PC connection which is what I really
need.

If not I will have to get a good max/min thermometer and go out and read the
temperatures :-(

Any recommendations for basic max-min?

(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

I find that these people sell a good digital thermometer, ETI Digital
Max/Min thermometer
http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/ac...FeTKtAodMgYAbQ
I've got 3 that I have had now for almost 3 years.
David @ the sunny end of Swansea Bay
Old 29-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jampton View Post
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:06:30 +0000, Granity wrote:

Also Davis do more upmarket ones.

'Professional cabled and wireless weather stations and weather software
for the home, education, and professional needs by Davis'
(Professional cabled and wireless weather stations and weather software for the home, education, and professional needs by Davis)

Yes Davis do *very* good weather stations. I've got the wireless VP2 -
can't fault it - it's great.

BUT it costs a fortune :-( Not really what you'd need just for greenhouse
temperatures.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Indeed, I only really included it for anyone who might be looking for a complete system. Oregon are the preferred lower end systems, but their cheaper ones can be a bit finicky over signal reception.

Old 30-09-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:15:09 +0100, Judith wrote:

I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house - ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

Excellent responses.

Many thanks - I just need to decide now !!

Old 30-09-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Judith wrote:
(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

That's a bit rubbish. What kind of failed?
Old 30-09-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Sep 2012 11:59:26 GMT, wrote:

Judith wrote:
(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

That's a bit rubbish. What kind of failed?

It was £20 : the magnetic strips were sticking in the tubes so that the alcohol
flowed past them.

It is a pity you cannot get the same ones but with mercury - I had one for
years and it was fine (until I dropped it !!)

Old 30-09-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote:
(My T&M one failed after about a year - I sent it back to them and they gave me
a refund)

That's a bit rubbish. What kind of failed?

Battery in the sensor went flat?

It was not electrical. If it was there is just a small chance that I and/or
T&M would have spotted that.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 27, 12:15*pm, Judith wrote:
I would like to find a thermometer suitable for green house *- ideally max/min
- which can be connected wifi to PC or router in the house.

not strictly relevant to your question, but I got a newsletter from
Conrad this morning with some fun things in it:
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/646329
usb weather station with radio-linked sensors

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/105057
temperature/humidity data logger (with USB for post-priori analysis)

and I would have loved this when I was studying biology:
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/815889
(microscope with LCD screen, SD card, USB)
(they havea hand-held x60 one for 20 quid!)

no connection. etc.

Min/Max Thermometer Broadback United Kingdom 8 02-02-2007 01:03 AM
hygrometer and thermometer Munir Orchids 15 10-12-2005 02:01 PM
Heating Cable, Thermometer & Lighting for Acrylic Aqurium Rui Lu Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 23-09-2005 07:04 PM
Wireless Thermometer wendy7 Orchids 22 17-12-2004 10:27 AM
Wireless Thermometer wendy7 Orchids 0 16-12-2004 12:50 AM