GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mysterious lawn! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205338-mysterious-lawn.html)

SueBee38 02-10-2012 05:03 PM

Mysterious lawn!

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can get rid of it pls?

Ragnar 02-10-2012 10:56 PM

Mysterious lawn!

"SueBee38" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can
get rid of it pls?

|Filename: lawn 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15346|
|Filename: lawn 2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347|

Daisy?
Selective weedkiller.
R.

Bob Hobden 03-10-2012 08:12 AM

Mysterious lawn!

"Ragnar" wrote

"SueBee38" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can
get rid of it pls?

|Filename: lawn 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15346|
|Filename: lawn 2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347|

Daisy?
Selective weedkiller.

Looking at that lawn I think there are more problems than the daisies.
Suggest you use a "Weed and Feed" for autumn use, you may just have time,
wait a few week than scarify the lawn getting all the dead stuff out (it
will look worse after) then get some air into it by going over digging a
fork down to make holes. Then come spring feed it, again with a weed and
feed, seaweed extract or just growmore, or all three.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

mogga 03-10-2012 08:57 AM

Mysterious lawn!

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:03:52 +0000, SueBee38
wrote:

I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can
get rid of it pls?

|Filename: lawn 1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15346|
|Filename: lawn 2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347|

Daisies.
Don't get rid of them if you have kids though as there's a lot of fun
to be had sitting on the lawn in summer and making a daisy chain.

They grub out quite easily and then you'll need to put some grass seed
in but I'd leave it til next year now.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

SueBee38 03-10-2012 10:18 AM

Thanks but the leaves are completely different to daisies, these are sort of dark green and fleshy!

Bob Hobden 03-10-2012 10:44 AM

Mysterious lawn!

"SueBee38" wrote

Thanks but the leaves are completely different to daisies, these are
sort of dark green and fleshy!

That is correct the Common Daisy has green fleshy leaves, see....

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...s_dsc00906.jpg

and look up Bellis perennis for more photos.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

kay 03-10-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueBee38 (Post 970117)
Thanks but the leaves are completely different to daisies, these are sort of dark green and fleshy!

In that case, you'll need to provide more of a close-up photograph, perhaps of underside as well. There is nothing in either of those photographs to suggest anything other than daisies.

SueBee38 03-10-2012 05:29 PM

Thanks Bob, thought it was a bit late in the year for daisies!

If they are daisies, maybe we'll just leave them over winter as was suggested earlier. I don't like using chemicals on the garden as we have a cat.

kay 03-10-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueBee38 (Post 970136)
Thanks Bob, thought it was a bit late in the year for daisies!

If they are daisies, maybe we'll just leave them over winter as was suggested earlier. I don't like using chemicals on the garden as we have a cat.

Daisy plants are perennial, so the leaves are there all the year round.

echinosum 04-10-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 970125)
Looking at that lawn I think there are more problems than the daisies.

Daisy a problem? I'd be happy if daisies in my lawn were the worst thing. Couch grass and yarrow and lesser trefoil and bindweed and ragwort and selfheal, these are problems.

kay 04-10-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 970181)
Daisy a problem? I'd be happy if daisies in my lawn were the worst thing. Couch grass and yarrow and lesser trefoil and bindweed and ragwort and selfheal, these are problems.

Wish I had yarrow and self heal. And some birdsfoot trefoil while we're at it.

All I have is daisy and white clover. Though probably after the last 6 "summers" introducing marsh lousewort would be a success. (I already have a swamp cypress)

Rod[_5_] 04-10-2012 06:42 PM

Mysterious lawn!

On Tuesday, 2 October 2012 17:03:52 UTC+1, SueBee38 wrote:
I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can

get rid of it pls?

|Filename: lawn 1.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15346|

|Filename: lawn 2.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347|

SueBee38

This looks like a frequently scalped lawn. Try raising the cut of the mower, cut more frequently and enjoy the 'species rich' sward. You will probably see a better range of wild flowers under the new regime.
The soil is already impoverished so wild flowers will be able to compete better with the grass than in a 'properly' managed lawn.

Rod

Rod[_5_] 04-10-2012 06:45 PM

Mysterious lawn!

On Thursday, 4 October 2012 18:42:15 UTC+1, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 October 2012 17:03:52 UTC+1, SueBee38 wrote:

I wonder if anyone can ID this plant growing in our lawn, and how we can

get rid of it pls?

|Filename: lawn 1.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15346|

|Filename: lawn 2.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347|

SueBee38

This looks like a frequently scalped lawn. Try raising the cut of the mower, cut more frequently and enjoy the 'species rich' sward. You will probably see a better range of wild flowers under the new regime.

The soil is already impoverished so wild flowers will be able to compete better with the grass than in a 'properly' managed lawn.

Rod

Oops, Sorry I should have pointed out that atm about all that can survive under the present management is the daisies.
Rod