GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet William seedlings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205358-sweet-william-seedlings.html)

Broadback[_3_] 04-10-2012 11:44 AM

Sweet William seedlings?

I use a lot of Sweet William plants, growing from seed for myself and 2
daughters. They are finally grown in tubs, this year I was late in
removing them and have not yet planted up the tubs. In the tubs are
scores of, what looks to me like S W plants. Can I successfully grow
these on to become healthy plants to plant out next Autumn? This is when
I plant out those I have grown from seed sown in the Spring?

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 04-10-2012 01:33 PM

Sweet William seedlings?

In article ,
says...

I use a lot of Sweet William plants, growing from seed for myself and 2
daughters. They are finally grown in tubs, this year I was late in
removing them and have not yet planted up the tubs. In the tubs are
scores of, what looks to me like S W plants. Can I successfully grow
these on to become healthy plants to plant out next Autumn? This is when
I plant out those I have grown from seed sown in the Spring?

We have a corner at the bottom of the garden where I
planted a few excess Sweet William plants a few years
back. They are still growing there - or rather their
offspring are! I never cleared the area and have just
left it, they seem to self seed and grow on quite
happily, and I suspect that if I thinned out the plants
they would be as good as the freshly grown ones!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Rod[_5_] 04-10-2012 06:33 PM

Sweet William seedlings?

On Thursday, 4 October 2012 13:33:33 UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,

says...

[...]

Yes, the self sown ones tend to come to flowering size a little later or sometimes the smaller ones don't flower until the following spring. It's been a few years since we bought any seeds.

Rod