GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Autumn Raspberries? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205360-autumn-raspberries.html)

Broadback[_3_] 04-10-2012 02:07 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

No Name 04-10-2012 02:36 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

Broadback wrote:
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

My autumn raspberries are having a bumper year. I presume you know that
you need to prune autumn raspberries differently to summer ones?
(Easier - hack them all down to just short of ground level in the spring!)

Broadback[_3_] 04-10-2012 04:47 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

On 04/10/2012 14:36, wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

My autumn raspberries are having a bumper year. I presume you know that
you need to prune autumn raspberries differently to summer ones?
(Easier - hack them all down to just short of ground level in the spring!)

Yes, thanks Vicky, though this being the first year there was only one
cane per plant to prune. Incidentally they are still sending up canes,
there are more now than at the beginning of Summer, I assume that is normal.

Pam Moore[_2_] 04-10-2012 04:50 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

On 4 Oct 2012 13:36:19 GMT, wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

My autumn raspberries are having a bumper year. I presume you know that
you need to prune autumn raspberries differently to summer ones?
(Easier - hack them all down to just short of ground level in the spring!)

Mine have also done very well the last few years. Wait till next year
and you may well be very pleased. All you have to dread is an early
frost!

Pam in Bristol

No Name 04-10-2012 08:40 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

Pam Moore wrote:
Mine have also done very well the last few years. Wait till next year
and you may well be very pleased. All you have to dread is an early
frost!

Like the one this morning? Frost in various parts of the country, and
definitely misty on the fields on the way to work

Jim Jackson 04-10-2012 10:06 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

On 2012-10-04, Broadback wrote:
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

What variety did you plant?

I grow Autumn Bliss and Fall Gold (Yellow rasps). Autumn raspberries fruit
successively from the top, then down the plant, with fruiting lasting over
2 or 3 months depending on autumn weather. Whereas summer ones tend to
fruit over 2 to 3 weeks, and traditionally one needed early and late
varieties to extend the season.

Also "Autumn" canes that have not fruited (or only fruited at the very
top of the plant), can be left standing to fruit the following late
June/July.

In my garden, I find Autumn varieties are generally more robust and less
prone to disease than summer varieties - I've had a patch of autumns
growing for over 20 years, way longer than any stand of summer ones I've
managed.

echinosum 05-10-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] (Post 970204)
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results

You can't expect much first year after planting any kind of raspberry. In general autumn raspberries are much more reliable and troublefree and unwormy than summer ones. In theory raspberries grow best in damp and acid-soiled locations, but they seem pretty drought and lime tolerant in my experience. Give them a bit of potash from time to time.

Broadback[_3_] 05-10-2012 04:43 PM

Autumn Raspberries?

On 05/10/2012 13:01, echinosum wrote:
'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;970204']Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date
I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results

You can't expect much first year after planting any kind of raspberry.
In general autumn raspberries are much more reliable and troublefree and
unwormy than summer ones. In theory raspberries grow best in damp and
acid-soiled locations, but they seem pretty drought and lime tolerant in
my experience. Give them a bit of potash from time to time.

Well thanks one and all, you have given me hope. ;-)

Ellis Morgan 06-10-2012 07:58 AM

Autumn Raspberries?

In article , Broadback
writes
Last Winter I planted some Autumn Raspberries, whereas to date I have
only grown Summer ones. I am very disappointed with the results, the
crop is low and the size pathetic, whereas my summer ones produce and
abundant crop of large berries. Are Autumn Raspberries normally like
this, or is it because it is their first year? If this is the sort of
crop that I should expect then they will be out next year!

Ours are on their second year and were very prolific after a disappointing
first year very similar to yours. No guarantees of course, but it must be too
early to give up on them.

--
Ellis Morgan

veggieladyx 06-10-2012 05:02 PM

I think you are writing them off way too soon....try again next year, maybe it's just been the weather or because it's there first year?