GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Soft fruit - sun / shade (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205460-soft-fruit-sun-shade.html)

Raymond RUSSELL 15-10-2012 10:54 AM

Soft fruit - sun / shade

Hello all

I'm replanting various black currant, red currant, gooseberry, raspberry.

The strip of ground in question ranges from
full sun all day to partly shaded in the afternoon.

Which of these need the most sun ?
Which will tolerate - or even prefer - a little afternoon shade ?

Best regards
Ray

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 15-10-2012 11:35 AM

Soft fruit - sun / shade

In article ,
says...

Hello all

I'm replanting various black currant, red currant, gooseberry, raspberry.

The strip of ground in question ranges from
full sun all day to partly shaded in the afternoon.

Which of these need the most sun ?
Which will tolerate - or even prefer - a little afternoon shade ?

Best regards
Ray

I don't think it matters too much.

When I planted my fruit cage, I thought I was clever, planting it
with the rows east-west and putting the autumn fruiting
raspberries to the south of the summer fruiting ones, thinking
that they would both get the sun when needed. works OK, but what I
forgot was a blackcurrant and gooseberry planted behing the
raspberries! It does not seem to have affected the quality of the
fruit that much, but certainly the blackcurrant does not produce
such good sized fruit as the other bush across the other side of
the garden.

Certainly, in this area you need to protect the redcurrant and
raspberries from the birds.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

kay 15-10-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond RUSSELL (Post 970924)
Hello all

I'm replanting various black currant, red currant, gooseberry, raspberry.

The strip of ground in question ranges from
full sun all day to partly shaded in the afternoon.

Which of these need the most sun ?
Which will tolerate - or even prefer - a little afternoon shade ?

Best regards
Ray

Red currant, raspberry and gooseberry all will produce a reasonable crop in shade. How much better they'd be in full sun I don't know. In the wild gooseberries crop up as an undershrub, raspberries are more often open to the sky, but the UK centre for raspberry production used to Blairgowrie (Scotland) so one would assume they haven't got very high requirements for sun. As another poster says, redcurrants need bird protection.

I've never grown blackcurrants so can't comment on them.

vsop[_2_] 16-10-2012 04:58 PM

Soft fruit - sun / shade

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
. fr...

Hello all

I'm replanting various black currant, red currant, gooseberry, raspberry.

The strip of ground in question ranges from
full sun all day to partly shaded in the afternoon.

Which of these need the most sun ?
Which will tolerate - or even prefer - a little afternoon shade ?

Hey...
My fruit growing book (now sadly discarded) says that black currants are
more tolerant of shade than other soft fruit ....but I've never grown any.
However, for years I have grown gooseberry and red and white currants in
almost permanent shade, except for evening sun, and have always had near
branch-breaking crops of VG quality fruit.
My raspberry plants have sun all day with shade in late afternoon, again
with excellent results.

vsop.