Old 25-10-2012, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blobs dropping off water cress

I've been growing some salad cress in water inside the house. Originally I
put it in the garden pond, and when it started rooting and growing i brought
it indoors, and placed in a vase of fresh water. I washed it in soapy water
before to wash off any bugs.

It now seems to be dropping 'very very' tiny black blobs on the window sill.
Looking at them under a magnifying glass they appear to be interlocking
green strands. What might these be ?

Old 25-10-2012, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jim stone" wrote in message
I've been growing some salad cress in water inside the house. Originally I
put it in the garden pond, and when it started rooting and growing i
brought it indoors, and placed in a vase of fresh water. I washed it in
soapy water before to wash off any bugs.

It now seems to be dropping 'very very' tiny black blobs on the window
sill. Looking at them under a magnifying glass they appear to be
interlocking green strands. What might these be ?

Don't know what the tiny black blobs are, but I do know that soapy water was
not
the correct way to sterilise the plants when you brought them in from the
pond. There
is only one correct way to sterilise aquatic plants and that is by immersing
them
in a solution of alum. Any aquarists on the group should be able to tell you
the
concentration to use.

Phil