Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grow anywhere plant

I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Steve

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/11/2012 15:52, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Calendula, Aquilegia perhaps. Foxgloves, Anthurinums Be careful what you
wish for as grow anywhere plants have a tendency to be invasive.

Valerian Centranthus is very grow anywhere nice pink flowers and lots of
butterflies but you may regret introducing it to your garden.

Various groundcover herbaceous plants. Heathers if planted though weed
fabric and scree on top.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/11/2012 16:15, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/11/2012 15:52, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Calendula, Aquilegia perhaps. Foxgloves, Anthurinums Be careful what you
wish for as grow anywhere plants have a tendency to be invasive.

Valerian Centranthus is very grow anywhere nice pink flowers and lots of
butterflies but you may regret introducing it to your garden.

Various groundcover herbaceous plants. Heathers if planted though weed
fabric and scree on top.

In the hope of encouraging and feeding early bees, I would add
Primroses, and violets. I definitely agree with Aquilegias and
Foxgloves, as they're both very pretty, self-seed and bees seem to love
them. I am growing a lovely white Sidalcea (sorry, can't remember the
cv) but it is long-flowering, self-seeding, and seems to glow in the
semi-darkness. Although it's really a sun-lover, it seems to tolerate
*slight* shade and still flower reliably from summer to autumn.
Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' is also very reliable with me, hardy *and*
self-seeds in a fairly well-behaved manner. It is still flowering now,
so would give you good colour from later summer to the end of the
season. Michaelmas Daisies would also give you late colour and attract
insects. If you know someone who has them, you can probably beg a bit
of seed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Steve

If you want vegetables broad beans and peas can be pushed in.
I am not much good with flowers sadly.

Baz
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:15:34 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 05/11/2012 15:52, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Calendula, Aquilegia perhaps. Foxgloves, Anthurinums Be careful what you
wish for as grow anywhere plants have a tendency to be invasive.

Valerian Centranthus is very grow anywhere nice pink flowers and lots of
butterflies but you may regret introducing it to your garden.

Various groundcover herbaceous plants. Heathers if planted though weed
fabric and scree on top.

Thanks Martin. Anything is better than plain soil! A bit of "invasive"
would be ideal as there is no easy escape. The garden is well
contained by block paving and concrete. There is a big lawn but it is
maintained by a garden service company. They would probably plant the
border but they don't come cheap.

Steve

Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

120 foot border of all the same is a bit much.

You probably want it split into 4 or 5 zones with different
characteristics at least at the outset. I was serious about the valerian
being invasive it can get very out of control.

The other trick is cadge cuttings of things like cotoneaster
horizontalis, forsythia (esp the variagated one), hydrangeas, dogwoods.
Sorts of things that can stand up to industrial grade gardeners. So that
there are a few decent sized chunky plants in different heights and sizes.

Flowering cherry ama-no-gawa is a bit trite but looks nice in a narrow
border and never really gets too big.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The other trick is cadge cuttings of things like cotoneaster
horizontalis, forsythia (esp the variagated one), hydrangeas, dogwoods.
Sorts of things that can stand up to industrial grade gardeners. So that
there are a few decent sized chunky plants in different heights and sizes.

Flowering cherry ama-no-gawa is a bit trite but looks nice in a narrow
border and never really gets too big.

Which Variegated forsythia?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/11/2012 18:47, David Hill wrote:

The other trick is cadge cuttings of things like cotoneaster
horizontalis, forsythia (esp the variagated one), hydrangeas, dogwoods.
Sorts of things that can stand up to industrial grade gardeners. So that
there are a few decent sized chunky plants in different heights and
sizes.

Flowering cherry ama-no-gawa is a bit trite but looks nice in a narrow
border and never really gets too big.

Which Variegated forsythia?

Dunno the name any more (I could go and look but it is dark outside and
the label has probably fallen off long since anyway). It is a cultivar
that has plant breeders no propogate protection on it - but suckers and
cuttings come true. Much less vigorous than the ordinary one and a
pretty shade of yellow green even when not in flower.

I will try to look for a label tomorrow but don't hold your breath.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/11/2012 21:11, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Sounds like F. Fiesta, I also have a nice silver variegated forsythia,
it wasn't named when I got it. like the normal form but with good
variegation, but more prone to reversion.
This year I also had a couple of shoots with a lace pattern variegation,
but if it will come again next year I have no idea.
David @ the muddy end of Swansea Bay.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 15:52:04 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?

Steve

0xalis articulata.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, November 5, 2012 3:52:12 PM UTC, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

I have a three foot wide, 120 foot long border that is just well dug
soil. As I'm disabled I can't do much gardening. I need a packet of
"magic" seeds that can be just scattered and pushed in. Any ideas?
Steve

I'd start by poking a good assortment of fruit bush cuttings in. With 120 feet there's no shortage of space for a variety of different things.

NT