Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Sterilising soil

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Chris Hogg wrote:
Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

I'd use the microwave, much easier

+1

See for example
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...il/sterile.htm

Excellent, thank you
Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:42:58 PM UTC, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:10:58 +0000, David Hill
wrote:
On 06/11/2012 10:36, wrote:

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

I'd use the microwave, much easier

+1
See for example
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...il/sterile.htm

Just nuke it till it steams, no need to make life overly complex

NT
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:9dbce65d-f606-47dc-8063-
:

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:42:58 PM UTC, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:10:58 +0000, David Hill
wrote:
On 06/11/2012 10:36,
wrote:

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

I'd use the microwave, much easier

+1
See for example
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...il/sterile.htm

Just nuke it till it steams, no need to make life overly complex

NT

Bit like a cake, it might not be done in the middle. Depends on how thick
the mix is. Clay or sandy. We don't want to over egg the pudding, or in
this case, under egg.
Just a lighthearted jape.

Baz

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

For entertainment only, I will share my dad's method of soil
sterilisation.

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water
until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading
rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can
smell it now.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

I'd use the microwave, much easier

Most microwaves will not sterilise dry soil. The soil will have to be
wet all the way through. A bit like cooking a mud pie.

Wet is not currently an issue!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

For entertainment only, I will share my dad's method of soil
sterilisation.

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water
until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading
rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can
smell it now.

Glory Be!!! I bet you could )

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/11/2012 16:34, Ophelia wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

For entertainment only, I will share my dad's method of soil
sterilisation.

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water
until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading
rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can
smell it now.

Glory Be!!! I bet you could )

Also in the 40's and 50's they had soil warming using a step down
transformer and ordinary fencing wire put around 12 inches below the
soil surface.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

It was crossing my mind as the whether he had a battery charger in the
circuit to cut it down to 12 volts. Seems a bit dangerous to apply 240 Volt
AC :-(

Mike

Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Crumbs.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:49:07 PM UTC, Baz wrote:
wrote in news:9dbce65d-f606-47dc-8063-
:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:42:58 PM UTC, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:10:58 +0000, David Hill
wrote:
On 06/11/2012 10:36,
wrote:

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

What temperature and for how long would be effective?

I'd use the microwave, much easier
+1
See for example
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...il/sterile.htm

Just nuke it till it steams, no need to make life overly complex
NT

Bit like a cake, it might not be done in the middle. Depends on how thick

the mix is. Clay or sandy. We don't want to over egg the pudding, or in
this case, under egg.
Just a lighthearted jape.
Baz

I'd feel sorry for anyone that couldn't figure out a solution to that one
Old 07-11-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:49:07 PM UTC, Baz wrote:
wrote in news:9dbce65d-f606-47dc-8063-
:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:42:58 PM UTC, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:10:58 +0000, David Hill
wrote:
On 06/11/2012 10:36,
wrote:

[...]

Thorday and Dodson used to do this large scale.

Baz

Sterilising Soil in Greenhouse Drew United Kingdom 1 02-08-2005 01:12 PM
Sterilising water butt Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 12-07-2005 05:56 PM
Sterilising compost? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 8 25-05-2005 09:32 AM
Sterilising garden Pablo Emerius Texas 1 17-07-2004 05:10 AM
[IBC] Sterilising pots? Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 14 28-07-2003 07:02 AM