Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhodochiton atrosanguineus

Could I get Rhodochiton atrosanguineus through the winter in a cold
greenhouse if I put it on the shelf over the staging with sand and
heating cables?

Several have grown quite well this year from seed (for once) and I
wondered just how much cold it could take.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Could I get Rhodochiton atrosanguineus through the winter in a cold
greenhouse if I put it on the shelf over the staging with sand and heating
cables?

Several have grown quite well this year from seed (for once) and I
wondered just how much cold it could take.
--
Janet Tweedy

Generally the seedlings overwinter much better than bigger plants, cold is
not a problem so long as its dry cold, so Botrytis is a bigger threat than
frost

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/11/2012 13:28, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Could I get Rhodochiton atrosanguineus through the winter in a cold
greenhouse if I put it on the shelf over the staging with sand and
heating cables?

Several have grown quite well this year from seed (for once) and I
wondered just how much cold it could take.

If you have horticultural fleece then drape that over, it will hold the
warmth from the cables in around the plants
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
wondered just how much cold it could take.

If you have horticultural fleece then drape that over, it will hold the
warmth from the cables in around the plants

Thanks to Charlie and Sacha as well but I will try then to get them
through. Could cut them back so that there's less foliage to catch the
damp.
If I drape fleece over won't that hold in any moisture?

I really should get a proper my deep staging but I have most of my
cuttings actually in the sand (I find just shoved in works well for
most stuff|) Don't want to get the tops too warm. I find a warm root and
a cooler top seems to get the cuttings through winter better. It is only
warmed to just about 55 - 58f
--
Janet Tweedy