Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordless electric mower advice.

Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just to
top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.
Any advice welcome.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RiversideRed wrote:
Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just to
top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.

Not recently, and the experience I had was that the one I had was
useless. We use a mains powered on a lawn half that size, and it
works well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:57:11 -0000, "RiversideRed"
wrote:

Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just to
top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.
Any advice welcome.

IIRC there was a thread earlier this year covering this subject and,
whilst cordless mowers in general were not favoured by contributors,
the Bosch Rotak range, which includes various sizes of cordless
rotary, was recommended. It is probably worth doing a search.
--
rbel
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 18:57, RiversideRed wrote:
Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just
to top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be
out of reach.
Any advice welcome.

Have you thought of a push mower?
I know it sounds a bit mad, but have a look at a Husqvarna 64 16-Inch
Push Reel Lawn Mower
I tried one of these a few years ago and I could push it through 3 inch
grass one handed.
Many years ago I had an elderly neighbour who used an old push mower on
his lawn, He cut it almost every day, no box on it, but with so little
growth between cuts it was an easy job and no clippings to get rid of.
The only experience I have had of a battery mower was years ago, it was
heavy, didn't last long between charges and was a waste of time.
David @ the soggy end of Swansea bay.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just to
top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.
Any advice welcome.

IIRC there was a thread earlier this year covering this subject and,
whilst cordless mowers in general were not favoured by contributors,
the Bosch Rotak range,

We have one of those and have been abusing it today on leaves and wet
straggly grass but I don't have that much lawn.
I'm useless at working out areas but if it a reasonably tidy lawn I
think it would cope on one charge unless the grass is really long or
wet. The battery is a Lithium Ion type and stores a reasonably amount
of energy. The rub is though that makes it expensive and a lot more
than the corded version.back in a minute ----- Tap tap tap,--- Yep
about £150+ more and almost into new petrol self start Honda
territory.
Another thing to consider is in my opinion someone with elderly
possibly arthritic fingers may find inserting the battery and then the
locking clamp and safety switch a little awkward. If you do proceed
see if he can do it before purchase.
A cordless is one of those things you can't buy cheap or it will be
useless.
I justified mine because we have diesel car and don't want a can of
petrol laying about,detest the noise of mowers and had already rigged
up a solar panel for a pond pump, it now also charges the mower in
it's own small hutch.
Which reminds me, if you are short of space the handles can be folded
easily but that would apply to the mains one as well.

G.Harman

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 18:57, RiversideRed wrote:
Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just to
top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.
Any advice welcome.

Have you considered a self-propelled electric mower such as the
Wolf-Garten 40EA?
http://www.wolf-garten.co.uk/index.p...tproductdb_pi5[showUid]=680&cHash=82481fe1c3

I've just got one of these and it worked well on a 20 x 20 m lawn (high
cut on long, wet grass). The cable guide allows it to move from side to
side as the mower is turned and it keeps out of the way. It's much
quieter than a petrol mower and you don't have to worry about filling it!

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RiversideRed" wrote in message
Hi, has anyone had experience of battery powered rotary mowers.
My father inlaw wants to stay independent and has trouble starting
conventional petrol mowers,
His lawn is around 20mtrs by 10mtrs and not fast growing he prefers just
to top it weekly.
One option would an electric start petrol mower but the price would be out
of reach.
Any advice welcome.

I've got one of these (or at least an earlier version).

http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/lawn...vioromower.htm

I've had it since 2005. I've succeeded in creating a break in the deck in
the last year or so which hasn't had any significant effect on the cutting
capability. It uses a battery that looks like a small car battery with a
handle on top which is heavy (sealed lead acid at a guess). I've had to
replace the original in the last couple of years because it began not to
last a whole session. I live in a rural location with garden on three
side of the house. They all have ins and outs and paths and lawn in
various places so it doesn't compare well with 20mx10m but my guess is that
I probably have to deal with double the plot you're thinking about. When
it finally dies I'll probably look at petrol so you might ask why didn't I
buy petrol in the first place. Answer; I had a couple of bad experiences
with petrol machines about 30 years ago which put me right off but I
recently bought a petrol powered multi tool (Stihl) and it works well so I'm
less anti.

Old 15-11-2012, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all for you comments very usefull.
"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

[...]

Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers: Review & Recommendations GG Gardening 12 18-04-2004 11:02 AM
Cordless electric self-propelled lawn mowers Sean Gardening 2 01-04-2004 06:47 PM
Cordless mower problem David Lawns 0 20-07-2003 12:30 AM
Black & Decker Cordless Electric Mower Earl Beachler Lawns 1 01-07-2003 08:44 PM