Old 21-11-2012, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet more proposed regulation - chickens this time

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Actually for the Mail that is a fairly balanced article.

There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

--

I totally agree. Suddenly over the past year or two it's become
fashionable to keep a few chickens. I've kept them since the early 70's

Tina, I know you are an authority on chickens. Would you consider writing
up all the important points that a newby would need to know to start?

I would love to have that!!

First buy a 6 x 4 shed and not an Omlet stupid thing for hundreds.
Second don't think you don't have foxes - you do.
If you are thinking of starting with chickens yourself just mail me if you
need advice.
No, I wouldn't write up the important points, those are freely available in
magazines and the internet.
It's up to the person who decides to keep hens to do their research before
they get them.
You are asking me to make it easy. I won't.
Tina

Old 21-11-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Apologies. I assumed that you with all your knowledge would be a good place
to begin research. I won't bother you again.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-11-2012, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Lot's of houses (including mine) have covenants in the deeds forbidding
the keeping of poultry.

I had a third floor flat in Cwmbran where keeping pigs was
specifically forbidden.

Did you try it anyhow?
(you could probably keep pigs in some of the rooms in our house and never
find them again)

Old 21-11-2012, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Lot's of houses (including mine) have covenants in the deeds forbidding
the keeping of poultry.

I had a third floor flat in Cwmbran where keeping pigs was
specifically forbidden.

Did you try it anyhow?
(you could probably keep pigs in some of the rooms in our house and never
find them again)

When we had our house out in the country, we could keep half a pig.

When we had our big garden in Leicester they wouldn't let me keep chickens,
but 'We will give you planning permission for houses if you like'. I did!

Mike

Old 22-11-2012, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

To that I would ad - Don't think you don't have rats - you do.
--
bert
Old 22-11-2012, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-11-21 21:36:00 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
snip
Tina, I know you are an authority on chickens. Would you consider
writing
up all the important points that a newby would need to know to start?
I would love to have that!!

First buy a 6 x 4 shed and not an Omlet stupid thing for hundreds.
Second don't think you don't have foxes - you do.
If you are thinking of starting with chickens yourself just mail me if you
need advice.
No, I wouldn't write up the important points, those are freely available in
magazines and the internet.
It's up to the person who decides to keep hens to do their research before
they get them.
You are asking me to make it easy. I won't.
Tina

Nobody is asking you to make it easy, imo. This is a group to which
people come for help and advice and you're refusing to give it here.
You are very hard, always, on people who want to keep a few hens so why
not help them to do it properly - as you see it? If we didn't already
have our dozen chooks and were looking to start with a few, I'd think
your reply was intended to stop others doing what you enjoy and at
which you like to appear to excel. That's not what any of us who
garden do here, so why do you feel it right to do that to others who
wish to keep hens? Ophelia's was a civil request for assistance from
you who talk quite a lot about how others don't get it right but now
refuse to tell them how they *should* get it right. Bit smug and
unkind both to would-be chicken owners and the chickens who won't now
benefit from your personal belief in your own 'expertise'. You seem to
spend a lot of time telling people how much you know about something
and then treating them as idiots. As a result, there is little point in
reading your posts in future, so I won't bother.

Net nanny rides again.
--
bert
Old 22-11-2012, 02:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-11-21 21:36:00 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Have I treated anyone as an idiot?
If so I apologise.
I have offered help to Ophelia if she wants to get chickens.
I don't remember upsetting Sacha but maybe I did. so now she doesn't want to
see my posts
It's ridiculous.

Old 22-11-2012, 03:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, if you keep chickens you will get rats.

Old 22-11-2012, 05:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:23:31 +0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:22, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:53 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isk-poultry-fa
rms-garden-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of
back
garden chickens and more communication between householders and health
officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations
them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

No doubt this is more rubbish from the Daily Mail.

Actually for the Mail that is a fairly balanced article.

There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

Lot's of houses (including mine) have covenants in the deeds forbidding
the keeping of poultry.

I had a third floor flat in Cwmbran where keeping pigs was
specifically forbidden.
--

Martin

I can keep pigs if I want to, my deeds say so. I don't want to. They are
scary because I cannot read them. I cannot tell whether or not they are
going to be annoyed. A friend of mine got his thigh muscle ripped out by a
pig. That's affected my perception of them.
Tina

Old 22-11-2012, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Lot's of houses (including mine) have covenants in the deeds forbidding
the keeping of poultry.

I had a third floor flat in Cwmbran where keeping pigs was
specifically forbidden.

Did you try it anyhow?
(you could probably keep pigs in some of the rooms in our house and never
find them again)

lol you are funny)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 22-11-2012, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:00:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

lol you are funny)

You can say that again and again and ...

.... and again if you like ...
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 22-11-2012, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
(you could probably keep pigs in some of the rooms in our house and never
find them again)

LOL here too before the children grew up and left home.

Surprisingly, the boys' bedroom is the only tidy one atm. (Although that
is helped by me scraping up all the bits of toilet paper Daniel had spread
over his floor yesterday)
Old 22-11-2012, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

lol you are funny)

You can say that again and again and ...

... and again if you like ...

There's no stopping you some days.

Eeeeeeeeh lad! When ahh get the bit between me teeth ...
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/