Old 20-11-2012, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet more proposed regulation - chickens this time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of back
garden chickens and more communication between householders and health
officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations to
them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 20-11-2012, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:53 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sk-poultry-far
ms-garden-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of
back garden chickens and more communication between householders and
health officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations
to them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

No doubt this is more rubbish from the Daily Mail.

Yes, might as well read Viz, the information is more accurate. Not quite as
humerous as The Daily Mail, but they try hard.
I wonder if Johnny Fart Pants left Viz for a career with The Daily Mail?
Pecking order?

Baz
Old 20-11-2012, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of back
garden chickens and more communication between householders and health
officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations to
them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

No doubt this is more rubbish from the Daily Mail.

Actually for the Mail that is a fairly balanced article.

There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-11-2012, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Research/News/B...en-keeping.cfm

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 20-11-2012, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote
There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

Actually you can say that about all "pets". My sis-in-law looks after other
peoples dogs/cats when they go away on holiday/business and is always
commenting about her clients saying "I love my dog/cat" but that there is no
welfare whatsoever, everything is for the ease and convenience of the owner
there being no thought for what's good for the dog/cat. Don't people read up
on keeping the pet they want and it's requirements before they buy it?

She had one client that was a vegetarian and therefor so was her dog, poor
dog was always ravenous, would steal any meat, and suffered digestion
problems which was always cured by the time he went home again only to
re-occur immediately.

Obviously most breeders are not like the one we bought two Birman cats from
where we had to travel across S. London to go to Sunday Tea twice and
effectively sit an exam (by her and the cats) both times before she would
let us buy them. We then had to promise to feed chopped up fresh Lambs
Hearts daily and various other strict rules.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-11-2012, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of back
garden chickens and more communication between householders and health
officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations to
them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

I would invite any health official to see how I keep my chickens. I doubt
they'd do it better. But..do they keep chickens themselves? and if not how
can they tell me what to do better? They can't, can they?
I am proud to say that my chicken hut is cleaned every day from what they do
in the night. Once a week they get the hut filled up with small wood chips.
Then I throw a bit of wheat in. That's very exciting as they have to
scratch around to find it.
When you get hybrid hens you aren't supposed to feed then anything except
layers pellets. I do feed them greens too.
If it makes them lay slightly less, I don't mind.
but atm the moment are laying like crazy. 3 eggs today from 3 hens, two
yesterday and three the day before. The hen who doesn't lay by 4 pm when I
feed them a bit for bedtime is always the first egg in the morning.

I tried to eat three eggs a day for my breakfast for weeks. It's just not
possible.
I've started to sell them to my brother and his mother in law.
I only want enough cash to cover their food and a little towards their
horrible cost. I could buy half a dozen
eggs a week for more than a year to buy those girls.

I gave up breeding my rare
chickens when I kept getting ill and expecting others to look after them
when I was in hospital(again and again)
I gradually let them pass away with old age.

I now have three hybrid hens which are more than enough. They were very
disappointing at first. I bought them at point of lay in May. I have a
White hen (Coral) and Copper Black Maran and a "Pied Ranger" who went down
broody after laying 20 eggs and never laid \nother egg for 14 weeks. The
Maran did not lay until August although she doing well now laying very dark
brown eggs
The Coral - well she's a star. She lays a big egg every day although she
might take a day off in 14. Alhough her egg is nearly white, and a white
egg is not popular in the Uk, we do not eat the shell \and the contents are
the same.
In the US, white eggs are best, I think.
How interesting. the darker brown shell on an egg the better we like it.

Old 20-11-2012, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:51:56 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Obviously most breeders are not like the one we bought two Birman cats
from
where we had to travel across S. London to go to Sunday Tea twice and
effectively sit an exam (by her and the cats) both times before she would
let us buy them. We then had to promise to feed chopped up fresh Lambs
Hearts daily and various other strict rules.

Nor like a tortoise sanctuary where we had to sign something like
adoption papers, promising that we would never ask for the tortoise to
be returned to us, when we donated an unwanted tortoise.

When I adopted my cats, I had to fill out a questionnaire, and was then
quizzed on my responses.

--
Kathy

Old 21-11-2012, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Martin Brown" wrote
There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

snip

She had one client that was a vegetarian and therefor so was her dog, poor
dog was always ravenous, would steal any meat, and suffered digestion
problems which was always cured by the time he went home again only to
re-occur immediately.

snip

Dogs are quite happy on a correct vegetarian diet.
My cousin feeds her dog (and fed the previous ones) on a mixture of raw
vegetables and a vegetarian dry dogfood.
Healthy, happy, very fit dogs.
It is unusual to see a dog regard a broccoli stalk as a treat though :-)

So (as with some vegetarians) it is not being vegetarian that is the issue,
it is eating a balanced vegetarian diet.
Sounds as though the dog was not being fed enough.

Old 21-11-2012, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:55:31 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There was a very famous (in his time) vet who believed dogs
could/should be vegetarian.

They can they are omnivores like us. Cats on the other hand are obligate
carnivores.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-11-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-20 17:51:56 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Martin Brown" wrote
[...]

be vegetarian. Buster Llloyd Jones was the name, I think and the food
products' marketing name was Denes.

My dog hasn't been too well for a wee while (and remember she is 16 yo) I am
feeding her on chicken and rice (vet's advice) I cook small amounts fresh 3
times a day And yes, she is worth it

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-11-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Research/News/B...en-keeping.cfm

"2. A total of 65 backyard chicken flock-keepers were recruited from
May to July 2010 through adverts on websites, at City farms,
veterinary practices and pet feed stores and surveyed by means of a
questionnaire. A total of 30 responses were suitable for analysis."

Statistically meaningful?

In a survey just conducted among the British Public (well, all those
currently available at my house) 100 percent said 'research?'

--
Sue

Old 21-11-2012, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Actually for the Mail that is a fairly balanced article.

There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

--

I totally agree. Suddenly over the past year or two it's become
fashionable to keep a few chickens. I've kept them since the early 70's and

Tina

Old 21-11-2012, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Tina, I know you are an authority on chickens. Would you consider writing
up all the important points that a newby would need to know to start?

I would love to have that!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-11-2012, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

Dogs are quite happy on a correct vegetarian diet.
My cousin feeds her dog (and fed the previous ones) on a mixture of raw
vegetables and a vegetarian dry dogfood.
Healthy, happy, very fit dogs.
It is unusual to see a dog regard a broccoli stalk as a treat though :-)

Offer them some meat versus the veggie diet and see what they prefer! In
the same way that I would not force meat on a pet rabbit because I eat meat
myself, I wouldn't force vegetarian preferences on my dogs. I actually
think this is bordering on cruelty.

Tina

Old 21-11-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:22, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:48:53 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isk-poultry-fa
rms-garden-flocks.html

"Study co-author Iveta Karabozhilova called for greater regulation of back
garden chickens and more communication between householders and health
officials."

I thought it was Labour who wanted to legislate everything.
If there are 500,000 people keeping chickens then applying regulations to
them isn't going to be easy or cheap (cheep?).

No doubt this will also roll over to allotments.

No doubt this is more rubbish from the Daily Mail.

Actually for the Mail that is a fairly balanced article.

There isn't enough awareness among chicken owning public of the welfare
requirements of hens when kept as garden pets/lifestyle accessories.

Lot's of houses (including mine) have covenants in the deeds forbidding
the keeping of poultry.
--
bert