Old 27-11-2012, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In article , bert ]
writes
I think it's to improve IMAP access for smart phones etc whereas TP
uses POP3.
The best solution seems to be to route all your mail into one or more
sub accounts and collect from those with TP when the routing rules will
still work. If you try to use the default administrator mailbox all the
headers get re-written and TP can't sort out to whom the e-mail was
originally addressed.

Bert I would love to understand all that and thank you for explaining
but still not simple enough for me!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-11-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike - now also thoughts on Windows 8

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 bert wrote:

Judging by the Demon forum this migration of email is neither wanted
nor greeted enthusiastically. i don't now feel so thick as i did
before I realised that many others have no idea what these wonderful
new advantages are or indeed mean

The best solution seems to be to route all your mail into one or more
sub accounts and collect from those with TP when the routing rules will
still work. If you try to use the default administrator mailbox all the
headers get re-written and TP can't sort out to whom the e-mail was
originally addressed.

In my experience, it's a problem which hasn't been explained by Demon at
all well. Having been migrated some months ago, I have now managed to
get Demon to send me my mail without it being rewritten to
Administrator. Took me several goes but it's essentially very simple
once you know how. Forgive me if someone else has already explained it -
I am a very slow bear sometimes.

Essentially all one needs to do is to log on to the web email portal as
administrator and add names to the administrator account. In my case
I've added my own and my wife's name. Our mail now comes in without
being rewritten and it goes into the correct mailboxes.

I can give a step by step guide by email if anyone needs it. Again, my
apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said.

The next problem, of course, is getting Turnpike to work with Windows 8.
In case anyone is worrying about this I can say that Turnpike works
perfectly with Win8 32-bit; no need for a virtual box as there was with
Windows 7. However, if you're running, or wanting to run, the 64-bit
version of Win8 then you will need a virtual box to run Turnpike, but
this is not a big deal. I downloaded and installed the Oracle VM Virtual
Box (which is free) with no problem at all, installed Windows XP in that
and then Turnpike. And that works perfectly.

Interestingly Turnpike Connect does work perfectly with 64-bit in native
mode. It's just that the Turnpike mail reader (Turnkick) won't load. But
a virtual box solves that problem.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 27-11-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Separate out what he wrote into points you don't understand and ask
for an answer to each.
--

Martin

Well managed to get talked through the migration but now Turnpike is
bouncing the emails and mailwasher is sitting sulking

good stuff this technology advancement
Old 27-11-2012, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
Forgive me if someone else has already explained it - I am a very slow
bear sometimes.

No you explained it brilliantly David but not why Turnpike is now
bouncing emails liberally and I cannot get Mail washer to work at all so
everything comes to me without filtering rubbish

Sat at this blinking computer since 5pm trying to reconfigure stuff but
to now avail and the 24hr support stops at 8pm !

--
Janet Tweedy
Old 28-11-2012, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 bert wrote:

[...]

No No No. TP runs OK on W7 32 bit.
However, if you're running, or wanting to run, the 64-bit version of
Win8 then you will need a virtual box to run Turnpike, but this is not
a big deal. I downloaded and installed the Oracle VM Virtual Box (which
is free) with no problem at all, installed Windows XP in that and then
Turnpike. And that works perfectly.

Interestingly Turnpike Connect does work perfectly with 64-bit in
native mode. It's just that the Turnpike mail reader (Turnkick) won't
load. But a virtual box solves that problem.

David

W8 64 bit comes with its own virtual box which will run XP

The reason behind all this is the MS suddenly and without explanation
withdrew 32 bit explorer on W7 just before release. TP version 6 was
written, following MS recommendation for developers, to run in Explorer.

TP5 runs OK in native mode on W7. I've not seen any comment on anyone
running it on W8
There are still copies of TP5.02 around if you want to regress.
--
bert

Old 28-11-2012, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 bert wrote:

The next problem, of course, is getting Turnpike to work with Windows
8. In case anyone is worrying about this I can say that Turnpike works
perfectly with Win8 32-bit; no need for a virtual box as there was
with Windows 7.

No No No. TP runs OK on W7 32 bit.

Ah, good!

However, if you're running, or wanting to run, the 64-bit version of
Win8 then you will need a virtual box to run Turnpike, but this is not
a big deal. I downloaded and installed the Oracle VM Virtual Box
(which is free) with no problem at all, installed Windows XP in that
and then Turnpike. And that works perfectly.

W8 64 bit comes with its own virtual box which will run XP

Yes, it's called Hyper-V. But you can use it only if your chipset
supports Second Level Address Translation. Mine doesn't even though it's
only a year or so old, which is why I had to resort to the Oracle
Virtual Box.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 28-11-2012, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Well managed to get talked through the migration but now Turnpike is
bouncing the emails and mailwasher is sitting sulking

Mailwasher is probably fed up reading spam.

Nah, it doesn't like the new portal. On a more exciting note i was rung
up by the helpline and told to send all the bounced emails to the
, which I duly did.
Goodness mew, within 20 seconds that address had bounced every email
back to me

Now been exmigrated whatever the word is, until they can work out what
is happening.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 29-11-2012, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
You are a very bouncy woman :-)

Oh you guessed!

Now been exmigrated whatever the word is, until they can work out what
is happening.

Resounding silence sulk mode next?

Well not heard a peep out of them since dinner time. Only consolation
is that I can still connect as per normal to this newsgroup!

--
Janet Tweedy
Old 29-11-2012, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
Well managed to get talked through the migration but now Turnpike is
bouncing the emails and mailwasher is sitting sulking

Mailwasher is probably fed up reading spam.

Nah, it doesn't like the new portal. On a more exciting note i was rung
up by the helpline and told to send all the bounced emails to the
, which I duly did.
Goodness mew, within 20 seconds that address had bounced every email
back to me

Now been exmigrated whatever the word is, until they can work out what
is happening.

Unmigrated? - and many others would like to be in the same situation I
think.
--
bert
Old 29-11-2012, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
You are a very bouncy woman :-)

Oh you guessed!

Now been exmigrated whatever the word is, until they can work out what
is happening.

Resounding silence sulk mode next?

Well not heard a peep out of them since dinner time. Only consolation
is that I can still connect as per normal to this newsgroup!

Fortunately usenet access is totally independent of e-mail servers, and
especially MS ones.
--
bert

Old 29-11-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , David Rance
writes
Forgive me if someone else has already explained it - I am a very slow
bear sometimes.

No you explained it brilliantly David but not why Turnpike is now
bouncing emails liberally and I cannot get Mail washer to work at all
so everything comes to me without filtering rubbish

Sat at this blinking computer since 5pm trying to reconfigure stuff but
to now avail and the 24hr support stops at 8pm !

Have you searched the archives I'm sure mailwasher has been mentioned
along the way.
But with the new mail system comes Defender Lite which seems to be
filtering out spam for most people. I get the impression spam filtering
has been dropped on the old system.
--
bert
Old 29-11-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

Well not heard a peep out of them since dinner time. Only consolation
is that I can still connect as per normal to this newsgroup!

but for how long?

I have been migrated back apparently and no sign of them 'improving' my
connection to the server yet awhile
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 29-11-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
This is all horribly reminiscent of the chaos inflicted on Zetnet
customers some years ago.

According to demon who have been migrating customers in shifts from last
march, it's so people can get their emails via phoned etc. Not much use
if you can't even get the new address to accept the blinking things in
the first place!!

I have now put Thunderbird on an old lap top so once i find a way of
extracting my addresses out of TP I might think about changing
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 29-11-2012, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bert ]
writes
But with the new mail system comes Defender Lite which seems to be
filtering out spam for most people. I get the impression spam filtering
has been dropped on the old system.
--

Don't want spam filtered thanks, I can deal with it quite easily via
Mailwasher at the moment and some spam isn't, so I can unstick those
Old 29-11-2012, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes

Well not heard a peep out of them since dinner time. Only consolation
is that I can still connect as per normal to this newsgroup!

but for how long?

I have been migrated back apparently and no sign of them 'improving' my
connection to the server yet awhile

Just read in demon.service all migration has been temporarily suspended.
--
bert