GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mistletoe (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205841-mistletoe.html)

Bob Hobden 27-11-2012 05:12 PM

Mistletoe

Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all sorts
of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local road.
What's the experience of others?

Baz[_3_] 27-11-2012 05:42 PM

Mistletoe

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the
last decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on
all sorts of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of
a local road. What's the experience of others?

I have never seen Mistletoe until a few weeks ago, it was pointed out to
me. It is on a couple of trees nearby. I am not into what type of tree, but
they both look the same. If I had to guess, I would say Birch trees.
I know its a parasite.

Baz

stuart noble 27-11-2012 05:47 PM

Mistletoe

On 27/11/2012 17:12, Bob Hobden wrote:
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the
last decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on
all sorts of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a
local road. What's the experience of others?

Yep, trees that used to have the odd patch are now covered in the stuff.
Didn't see too many berries last winter though

Derek Turner 28-11-2012 03:58 PM

Mistletoe

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:11 +0000, Baz wrote:

I know its a parasite.

Is it? I thought it was an epiphyte.

Derek Turner 28-11-2012 04:04 PM

Mistletoe

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:58:45 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:11 +0000, Baz wrote:

I know its a parasite.

Is it? I thought it was an epiphyte.

fx: consults Wiki

It's an obligate hemi-parasite, apparently: somewhere between the two!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-11-2012 05:15 PM

Mistletoe

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the
last decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on
all sorts of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of
a local road. What's the experience of others?

Mistletoe is fairly local. It seems to be most commonly found in chalk
country. There used to be a concentration in orchards in the
Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire area, but recent records
from that area are relatively scarce.

The last mistletoe I saw wild was in Coventry a quarter of century ago.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden 28-11-2012 05:33 PM

Mistletoe

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...

Bob Hobden writes
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all
sorts of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local
road. What's the experience of others?

Mistletoe is fairly local. It seems to be most commonly found in chalk
country. There used to be a concentration in orchards in the
Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire area, but recent records from
that area are relatively scarce.

The last mistletoe I saw wild was in Coventry a quarter of century ago.

When I'm feeling a bit better, got that persistent cough/cold that's going
about, I'll take some photos around this area so you can see what I'm on
about. Some of the trees look evergreen because there is so much mistletoe.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Baz[_3_] 29-11-2012 12:59 PM

Mistletoe

Derek Turner wrote in news:ahmqvoF4rh4U2
@mid.individual.net:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:58:45 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:11 +0000, Baz wrote:

I know its a parasite.

Is it? I thought it was an epiphyte.

fx: consults Wiki

It's an obligate hemi-parasite, apparently: somewhere between the two!

NO. It is a parasite. It extracts nutrients from it's host in order to
grow, and gives nothing in return.

Baz

Bob Hobden 29-11-2012 05:04 PM

Mistletoe

"Baz" wrote ...

Derek Turner wrote
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:58:45 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:11 +0000, Baz wrote:

I know its a parasite.

Is it? I thought it was an epiphyte.

fx: consults Wiki

It's an obligate hemi-parasite, apparently: somewhere between the two!

NO. It is a parasite. It extracts nutrients from it's host in order to
grow, and gives nothing in return.

It does extract water and nutrients from it's host but it also has green
leaves which photosynthesise so it's not a true parasite like, say, a birds
nest orchid as it does make some of it's own food.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

echinosum 29-11-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 973806)
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all sorts
of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local road.
What's the experience of others?

In general I think it is more common in moister parts of the country, so it may just be responding to recent weather conditions. Also, my experience, related below, is that they are slow growing.

About 10 years ago, I spread mistletoe seeds I collected onto nicks on various trees in my garden, and it germinated on about 3, and survived on 1, being a crab apple. I subsequently learned I woudl have helped by giving it some bird poo, as they are normally excreted by birds onto trees. It has taken quite a long time for it to grow very much. Also the leaves frequently get eaten by something or other. It has just produced its first berries, 4 of them. But it still isn't big enough to harvest, not like the big balls of mistletoe you see in some trees.

They have some amazing mistletoes in other countries. In South America, at least the drier bits of Chile and Argentia, they are commonly red-flowered, and can be foundon acacias, cactuses and other bushes. In the case of the cactus mistletoes, the flowers are all you see, the stems are inside the cactus.

Christina Websell 29-11-2012 08:33 PM

Mistletoe

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all
sorts of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local
road. What's the experience of others?

Mistletoe is fairly local. It seems to be most commonly found in chalk
country. There used to be a concentration in orchards in the
Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire area, but recent records from
that area are relatively scarce.

The last mistletoe I saw wild was in Coventry a quarter of century ago.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I've never seen mistletoe growing wild here in Leics.
I have some ancient apple trees and thought about pressing a few seeds from
bought stuff into the bark but I found out that's a bad idea as most
Christmas mistletoe is imported.
I'd really like some home grown mistletoe, does anyone know how to get
berries and if I did, is there a skill to it?

Tina

echinosum 29-11-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Websell (Post 974020)
"I've never seen mistletoe growing wild here in Leics.
I have some ancient apple trees and thought about pressing a few seeds from
bought stuff into the bark but I found out that's a bad idea as most
Christmas mistletoe is imported.
I'd really like some home grown mistletoe, does anyone know how to get
berries and if I did, is there a skill to it?

Tina

Mistletoe is common in more westerly counties. In a short walk around edges of Cheltenham saw loads of the stuff, for example. So visit to collect some. Berries are showing now, I've picked them as late as March. Perhaps later picking is better as seeds are more likely to be ripe.

Cut a nick in the bark through to the wood, put seed in with some birdpoo collected from under your seed-feeder, and cross your fingers. It grows on all sorts of trees, and isn't limited to Rosaceae even. Some attempt to keep moist, perhaps with some moss tied over the top might help. Do a few seeds as not all will germinate.

Emery Davis[_3_] 29-11-2012 10:32 PM

Mistletoe

On 11/29/2012 09:03 PM, echinosum wrote:
Bob Hobden;973806 Wrote:
Seems to be a significant increase in the stuff around here over the
last
decade. Used to be quite rare but now it's everywhere you look on all
sorts
of trees. Even on small Rowans in the central reservation of a local
road.
What's the experience of others?

In general I think it is more common in moister parts of the country, so
it may just be responding to recent weather conditions. Also, my
experience, related below, is that they are slow growing.

Oddly we used to have a huge amount of it in Normandy, not only in the
apple trees but also in lime, oak, and silver maples; but it has mostly
moved off up north. Some colder winters maybe?? There is still plenty
around but now you have to look for it just a bit.

About 10 years ago, I spread mistletoe seeds I collected onto nicks on
various trees in my garden, and it germinated on about 3, and survived
on 1, being a crab apple. I subsequently learned I woudl have helped by
giving it some bird poo, as they are normally excreted by birds onto
trees. It has taken quite a long time for it to grow very much. Also
the leaves frequently get eaten by something or other. It has just
produced its first berries, 4 of them. But it still isn't big enough to
harvest, not like the big balls of mistletoe you see in some trees.

I can't imagine actively trying to grow the stuff, having spent so much
time cutting it out! It may grow slowly at first, but once it gets
going it really goes.

In spite of my ambivalence I really quite like the stuff, we gather
loads of it for decorations at Christmas time.

They have some amazing mistletoes in other countries. In South America,
at least the drier bits of Chile and Argentia, they are commonly
red-flowered, and can be foundon acacias, cactuses and other bushes. In
the case of the cactus mistletoes, the flowers are all you see, the
stems are inside the cactus.

That sounds spectacular, I'd love to see it.

Bob Hobden 29-11-2012 11:05 PM

Mistletoe

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

The berries are not ripe until well after Christmas, Feb/Mar time and just
need scraping off onto the top of a suitable branch. It does need light to
grow and is very slow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David Hill 30-11-2012 09:04 AM

Mistletoe

On 29/11/2012 23:05, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

[...]

I always understood that it was variety specific, that is mistletoe from
apple would only grow on apple, where as that from poplars would only
grow on poplars and so on.
When you are on the A449 going to the Midlands from South Wales there
are loads of trees with mistletoe along the roadside.