Old 30-11-2012, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default the world is coming to an end on 21st Dec.. 2012!!

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
I'm old enough to remember wrapping my chips in the Daily Herald.

Steve

I loved the Evening Standard there was a junior crossword in it and
cartoons i think. My dad used to bring it back from London every night and
I think there were other puzzles as well.
Comedians used to imitate the newspaper boys shouting Evening Standard as
it used to come out rather like "evenin' staddurd"

Actually, it was 'noos n staddard'
--
Pete C

Old 30-11-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Comedians used to imitate the newspaper boys shouting Evening Standard
as it used to come out rather like "evenin' staddurd"

They obviously only ever heard the eloquent ones. It always sounded to
me like "E'ee'n Sta'ard". Makes one wonder who Ian Stard is.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

It took me years to work out what they were shouting, and I finally deduced it was a *******ised version of "standard". Then came the time when there was a strike at the Standard, and only the News was available. Did the cry change? No.
__________________
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
It took me years to work out what they were shouting, and I finally deduced it was a *******ised version of "standard". Then came the time when there was a strike at the Standard, and only the News was available. Did the cry change? No.
Wow - please do tell me, urglers - gb has bowdlerised my post and replaced "illegitimate" by a row of stars. Has it appeared that way in urg?

Reminds me of a road building outfit whose engineers were getting increasingly frustrated by the automatic content checker routinely removing all reference to "hard core".
__________________
Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:38:25 GMT, Baz wrote:

David Hill wrote in
:

On 2012-11-30 10:55:43 +0000, Baz said:

Martin wrote in
:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:59:17 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Martin Brown
writes
Apparently some hill in the high Pyrennees will be saved and the
local mayor is preparing for an invasion of credulous lunatics.

And how on earth did the Mayans know about the Pyrenees then?

Rumours get around. They probably read about them in the Daily
Mail.

Oh THE origional tabloid.

Baz

Wasn't that The Sketch?

No it was the Post

Evening or morning?

or last?

It's the last post for ALL newspapers, as we know them. Soon all be web
based?

Baz

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:56:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

It's the last post for ALL newspapers, as we know them. Soon all be web
based?

Many people, including me, prefer to read newspapers. Because of their
size newspapers get away with mixing items on a page that even adverts
survive. There's no way that I would stay on a web page that forced
adverts on me.

Steve

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:56:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

It's the last post for ALL newspapers, as we know them. Soon all be web
based?

Many people, including me, prefer to read newspapers. Because of their
size newspapers get away with mixing items on a page that even adverts
survive. There's no way that I would stay on a web page that forced
adverts on me.

Steve

Handy for lighting fires with as well, AND, spreading on the floor when
decorating ;-0

Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 13:37:30 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Handy for lighting fires with as well, AND, spreading on the floor when
decorating ;-0

Or even pasting it on the walls to save wallpaper when decorating. I'm
sure I've seen that somewhere.

Steve

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:56:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

It's the last post for ALL newspapers, as we know them. Soon all be web
based?

Many people, including me, prefer to read newspapers. Because of their
size newspapers get away with mixing items on a page that even adverts
survive. There's no way that I would stay on a web page that forced
adverts on me.

Steve

Give it a few years and the adverts will disappear, or give the reader an
option not to see them. It HAS to come. Ultimatly the newspaper will die
anyway, I think in one generation. The technology is so advanced, and
getting more advanced by the day.

Baz
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Handy for lighting fires with as well, AND, spreading on the floor when
decorating ;-0

Or even pasting it on the walls to save wallpaper when decorating. I'm
sure I've seen that somewhere.

Steve

Local newspapers are fantastic, I have 1350 on my computer and the response
from them is superb. The advantage of 'the printed word' is that it is
still there days/weeks later, whereas an article on the radio is forgotten
just as soon as the next article comes on.

Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 14:02:56 GMT, Baz wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:56:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

It's the last post for ALL newspapers, as we know them. Soon all be web
based?

Many people, including me, prefer to read newspapers. Because of their
size newspapers get away with mixing items on a page that even adverts
survive. There's no way that I would stay on a web page that forced
adverts on me.

Steve

Give it a few years and the adverts will disappear, or give the reader an
option not to see them. It HAS to come. Ultimatly the newspaper will die
anyway, I think in one generation. The technology is so advanced, and
getting more advanced by the day.

Baz

I use Chrome with the AdBlock extension so I already have the option
to not show adverts. Unfortunately a lot of web pages cannot be viewed
until an advert is watched. That is the type of web page I leave
without viewing. I'm the same with TV. I don't watch anything that
tries to force adverts on me!

Steve

Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

Give it a few years and the adverts will disappear, or give the reader
an option not to see them. It HAS to come. Ultimatly the newspaper
will die anyway, I think in one generation. The technology is so
advanced, and getting more advanced by the day.

Baz

I use Chrome with the AdBlock extension so I already have the option
to not show adverts. Unfortunately a lot of web pages cannot be viewed
until an advert is watched. That is the type of web page I leave
without viewing. I'm the same with TV. I don't watch anything that
tries to force adverts on me!

Steve

Thats why I think to give it a few years and they will be gone without the
aid of software.
If a person wants advertisements it is up to that person to ask for them. A
bit like Googling for a product. It WILL come, I am sure of that.

Baz
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Handy for lighting fires with as well, AND, spreading on the floor when
decorating ;-0

Or even pasting it on the walls to save wallpaper when decorating. I'm
sure I've seen that somewhere.

Steve

I used sailing charts for that in our downstairs loo!

On a boat that would be in the right place for sea-sickness. I can
imagine trying to explain the green pins stuck in the charts!

Steve