Old 05-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Drakanthus

Default Water Butt Repair?

Is there a type of adhesive which I could use to seal the split (it's
a couple of inches long and not very wide).

Reg Q

I'd be tempted to try Araldite - it is very good where strength is important. It
should also fill the split provided it is not more than about 1mm wide. Perhaps
you could also glue a piece of small piece of plastic over the split to help
strengthen it against further tearing. I wouldn't try melting any plastic onto the
split - I tried using melted plastic myself years ago for something similar and it
set too brittle and didn't bond very well to the surrounding plastic - certainly
wouldn't be watertight.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 05-05-2003, 12:08 PM

I have a green plastic water butt which has split at the bottom
because I foolishly didn't put it on a proper level surface, and the
weight of the water has done the damage.

I've repaired my water butts. I used a waterproof silicone sealant that I
bought from a DIY store such as B&Q, Homebase etc. Just squirt it into the
gap, leave to dry for at least 24 hours. Repair the hole from both sides,
i.e. inside the butt and outside.

- h

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
david

I don't know about the "cement " you can get for joining Plastic pipe, but I
would also be looking for a very large poly bag to use as a liner.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Reg Q

Thanks to all who responded - some useful ideas there.

Unfortunately I tried and failed to repair the leak. The split was
bigger than I thought and because the bottom of the butt isn't flat
where the split is (it has some indentations, presumably to strengthen
it) it was difficult to stick tape on it, etc.

It looks as if I'll have to replace it

Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

Reg Q

Old 06-05-2003, 04:32 PM

~Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
~into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

I made mine into a wormery by drilling loads of holes in the bottom etc. I
then changed my mind some time later, filled in the holes with silicon
sealant and now it's a water butt again.

Best,

- h

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 11:00 AM
Frothy water in my Butt Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 11:56 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson Ponds 12 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Algae in water butt Mary Fisher United Kingdom 11 25-03-2003 05:56 AM