Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Getting a bit warmer. For today only.

A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear blue
sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better make
the most of it.

Baz
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:58:44 GMT, Baz wrote:

A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear blue
sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better make
the most of it.

Baz

It wasn't bad here in Oldham - spent an hour and a bit out putting
wood chip on to paths and tidying up my plot.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:58:44 GMT, Baz wrote:

A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear
blue sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better
make the most of it.

Baz

It wasn't bad here in Oldham - spent an hour and a bit out putting
wood chip on to paths and tidying up my plot.

Sounds like you are ahead, despite the wet and cold!
We spent the day collecting leaf's, (or is it leaves or leafs) planting
strawberry plants in wet soil, and turning over the compost heaps. The most
urgent jobs in this garden. That took us up to the last light. Lots more to
do. The garden looks a mess.
Can hardly wait 'till spring.

Good luck in Oldham
Baz
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/12/2012 17:24, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:58:44 GMT, wrote:

A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear
blue sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better
make the most of it.

Baz

It wasn't bad here in Oldham - spent an hour and a bit out putting
wood chip on to paths and tidying up my plot.

Sounds like you are ahead, despite the wet and cold!
We spent the day collecting leaf's, (or is it leaves or leafs) planting
strawberry plants in wet soil, and turning over the compost heaps. The most
urgent jobs in this garden. That took us up to the last light. Lots more to
do. The garden looks a mess.
Can hardly wait 'till spring.

Good luck in Oldham
Baz

It's been quite pleasant here in SE London, and I've spent all day in
the garden, potting up bulbs and even potting on one or two desperate
plants trying to burst out of their pots. Spent quite a bit of time
trying to protect all the bulbs from squirrels :~(. I'd have got a lot
more done if the little ratbags would stay away. Nevermind, all sorted
now. I've still got lots of leaves to clear up and some roses to cut
back if we get another decent spell of weather to work in. (I'm not
averse to working in rain or icy weather, but I've got a cold just now,
so being more fussy).

It's raining lightly outside now, or so my damp cat tells me with her
muddy paws and wet fur! I'm not complaining; it will settle in my bulbs
and, for a while, keep the frost at bay.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in
:

On 09/12/2012 17:24, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

My daughter is living in Cricklewood(NW London) ATM and has a small
garden. She has squirrels nicking everything from the garden and bird
table, so she has had to stop feeding the birds.
Before that was Clapham...Squirrels
In February she will move to Hampshire. No squirrels. They eat them.
yukky. Tree rabbit.

Baz

Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/12/2012 18:23, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

On 09/12/2012 17:24, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, squirrels are a big problem in gardens around London. Part of me
loves them because they're so hugely cute, but it's intolerable when
they eat bulbs before I've even seen the flowers. I could tolerate them
eating *some* birdfood, but they don't know when to stop.
All the same, I wouldn't want to eat one :~0. I just wish someone would
ship the whole lot back to the States so we can have our lovely red
squirrels back where they belong.

I hope your daughter enjoys Hampshire. It's a lovely part of the world.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
The garden looks a mess.

Same here! Managed to get someone with a Chiainsaw to take half one side
of the hawthorn hedges down by three feet to about 7 foot , judging that
that will give me a bit of leeway so i don't have to cut back to a
thickened stump of branches next year.

Iced and decorated four Christmas cakes for people and planted up
someone's front border so now back to print yet more calendars

Also went into our local garden centre Hildreth's which also has a sort
of ironmongers-petshop-cake-kitchenware-odds and ends place as well.
Spent far more there than wanted to , buying the naffest Christmas
toilet roll for someone who has everything plus yet more holly and robin
and stars cutters and edible colouring dye.
Did look in at garden centre part and thought I'd better get a bag of
grit/salt or i know I'll wish i had plus three boxes of pansies for
someone's door pots,

Only went to Hildreth's to look at Christmas trees but never got round
to getting one, completely forgot until halfway home
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in :

[...]

There are a couple of non native species that bother me, and I know there
are loads, but Grey squirrels and Signal crayfish bother me most, only
because I have seen the destruction that they cause. First hand.

Hampshire is the most lovely part of the world, I agree.

Baz
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_6_] View Post
A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear blue
sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better make
the most of it.
Allegedly 7 deg C here today, but with strong winds, and it was perishing! We were planting around 800 daffodils in the nature park, and the soil was very cold.

On the plus side, I saw our kingfisher, not on his usual pond, and watched while he caught a fish then came and sat on a log near me to arrange it in a suitable fashion for swallowing.
__________________
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:24:25 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:58:44 GMT, Baz wrote:

A bit like an end of season sale.
Its quite warm in our garden now, even after last nights rain. Clear
blue sky with blinding sun.
The forecast is snow for the next few days here on N.Lincs. So better
make the most of it.

Baz

It wasn't bad here in Oldham - spent an hour and a bit out putting
wood chip on to paths and tidying up my plot.

Sounds like you are ahead, despite the wet and cold!
We spent the day collecting leaf's, (or is it leaves or leafs) planting
strawberry plants in wet soil, and turning over the compost heaps. The most
urgent jobs in this garden. That took us up to the last light. Lots more to
do. The garden looks a mess.
Can hardly wait 'till spring.

Good luck in Oldham
Baz

Thanks!
I suspect my compost heaps would benefit from turning but leaving them
a bit longer won't hurt.

We decided what to do with the frame of one of those mini plastic
covered polytunnels - have shrunk it to about 4ft high and have put
the shelves elsewhere to use as shelves outside for now. Am thinking
that once the cover has been adjusted we'll have a giant cloche that I
could use for outdoor tomatoes to get them off to a good start - or if
the weather is like this year, leave on!
It was one someone was throwing out after assembling and never using
before it blew over so I got it for nothing. I thnk pegging it down
will be the important thing. Am thinking that I might not cut the
bottom of the cover off but make sure it's used to help keep the thing
on the ground.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 17:24:25 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
m:

We decided what to do with the frame of one of those mini plastic
covered polytunnels - have shrunk it to about 4ft high and have put
the shelves elsewhere to use as shelves outside for now. Am thinking
that once the cover has been adjusted we'll have a giant cloche that I
could use for outdoor tomatoes to get them off to a good start - or if
the weather is like this year, leave on!
It was one someone was throwing out after assembling and never using
before it blew over so I got it for nothing. I thnk pegging it down
will be the important thing. Am thinking that I might not cut the
bottom of the cover off but make sure it's used to help keep the thing
on the ground.

The best thing I have done with poly cloches is to bury the edges so the
wind dosn't rip them apart. Works for me.

Baz
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:14:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
:

[...]

I'll try that - I will have enough to bury anyway now we've shortened
it.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:23:41 GMT, Baz wrote:

My daughter is living in Cricklewood(NW London) ATM and has a small
garden. She has squirrels nicking everything from the garden and bird
table, so she has had to stop feeding the birds.
Before that was Clapham...Squirrels
In February she will move to Hampshire. No squirrels. They eat them.
yukky. Tree rabbit.

I moved to the county nearly 40 years ago. While exploring the pubs of
the New Forest on, to paraphrase Private Frazer, a dark and stormy
night we arrived at one where upon entering the half dozen locals
looked distinctively startled and gave the impression that we should
not have been able to enter the bar they were in.
On top of a wood burning stove a pot was boiling away.A mate who was
never shy said "are you still serving food then?" Only if you like
squirrel stew said one local. This was the era that for most pubs food
was a pickled egg in a packet of crisps or a hot pie if it was
upmarket. It was a cold night and we were hungry. I honestly can't
remember enough to describe the flavour but that stew wasn't
unpleasant.

G.Harman