Old 21-12-2012, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wet, wet, wet

"Baz" wrote in message
Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-20 14:28:18 +0000, "'Mike'"

On 2012-12-20 13:12:52 +0000, David Hill
said:

Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each
other?

Amen to that! My nephew trained at Lympstone, was a Captain and did
two tours in Afghanistan. I don't think he's into gardening,
though... And of course, he has better manners than Mike and his
friends. --
Sacha

No, it's because it's me :-))

Others can post off topic subjects and nobody says a word because
they are 'the approved ones' :-))

Sad isn't it?

And petty :-))

But can expect these things now can't we? :-))

Kindest regards and Merry Christmas

You should take the opportunity to ask yourself WHY it's you of whom
so many people are both heartily sick and deeply contemptuous. All of
us drift off-topic occasionally but absolutely nobody else but you
wilfully introduces totally unrelated matters virtually every time you
post, always seeking glory by basking in the shadow of others who
really have achieved something. IF that's how you want to appear to
others, it may be the only thing you do successfully.

Amen

Baz

Baz, Mandy Rice-Davies had the reply to your posting :-))

Perhaps your name should be Baa

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 21-12-2012, 10:27 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
Well I checked our rainfall at 3pm and we have had 1.9 inches in the
last 24 hours.
Earlier this year I was on a geology field trip, and it rained heavily all day - we clocked up 4.2 inches in the 24 hours. I've never been quite so glad to have a complete change of clothes in the car. Since then, heavy rain hasn't seemed quite the same.

But yesterday we were lucky - despite being a cold and miserable day, and having a difficult drive in the morning with water on the roads, the rain eased during the afternoon and water levels got no higher.

I see we have more of the same forecast sometime next week.
__________________
Old 21-12-2012, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news

On 2012-12-20 18:49:30 +0000, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-20 15:20:47 +0000, Broadback
said:

On 20/12/2012 12:21, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:27:36 +0000, cotula
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:33:42 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Need I say more?
Even by our standards it's wet with a lot more to come in the next
day or so.

Yup - see http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

75-80mm forecast for parts of S England today.

I live just off the A32 a little North of Stone, the water hereabouts
has cause chaos. The A34 is closed so there are no local buses. What
is going to compound, it in the future, is that they are going t
build houses on a floodplain near by, no doubt extra drainage will be
installed, which will move the problem further downstream!

And in our own very small way, I've just driven up one of our narrowes
lanes where the water is gushing down the side (no gutters) at such a
rate and with so much persistence that the tarmac is breaking up into
'steps' down the lane. It's creating a very pretty but dangerous
waterfall.

Sounds familiar to me. The small chunks can very quickly knock off
boulders. Scarper when that happens.

Baz

It's certainly a possibility that this will undermine very high Devon
hedges.

and flush out the badgers.
--

Martin

and talking of Badgers, how deep do they burrow and how deep would you need
to install chain link fence to stop them entering your land when they are in
the vicinity?

Mike

Old 21-12-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-20 18:49:30 +0000, Baz said:
snip
And in our own very small way, I've just driven up one of our
narrowes lanes where the water is gushing down the side (no
gutters) at such a rate and with so much persistence that the
tarmac is breaking up into 'steps' down the lane. It's creating a
very pretty but dangerous waterfall.

Sounds familiar to me. The small chunks can very quickly knock off
boulders. Scarper when that happens.

Baz

It's certainly a possibility that this will undermine very high
Devon hedges.

and flush out the badgers.

Plenty of those round here. We saw one just the other night as we
drove home.

Are you sure it wasn't a Border Collie, Sacha.(only joking).
I say that because I am gradualy comming to my own conclusion that even in
Lincolnshire we have little wildlife from the 70's (when I was a very young
lad) to be seen. Even stoats and weasels and hedgehogs have not been seen
for the past 2 or 3 years in numbers, even squashed on the road.

Baz
Old 21-12-2012, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:26:09 GMT, Baz wrote:

It's certainly a possibility that this will undermine very high
Devon hedges.

and flush out the badgers.

Plenty of those round here. We saw one just the other night as we
drove home.

I say that because I am gradualy comming to my own conclusion that even in
Lincolnshire we have little wildlife from the 70's (when I was a very young
lad) to be seen. Even stoats and weasels and hedgehogs have not been seen
for the past 2 or 3 years in numbers, even squashed on the road.

Baz

An unfortunate side effect from the resurgence of Badgers is their
appetite for Hedgehogs so those that manage to escape being run over
often become dinner.

As it is nearly Cracker time
What is the difference between a Weasel and a Stoat
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
A weasel is weasally recognised and a stoat is stoatally different

G.Harman

Old 21-12-2012, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/2012 09:27, kay wrote:
David Hill;975110 Wrote:

Well I checked our rainfall at 3pm and we have had 1.9 inches in the
last 24 hours.

Earlier this year I was on a geology field trip, and it rained heavily
all day - we clocked up 4.2 inches in the 24 hours. I've never been
quite so glad to have a complete change of clothes in the car. Since
then, heavy rain hasn't seemed quite the same.

But yesterday we were lucky - despite being a cold and miserable day,
and having a difficult drive in the morning with water on the roads, the
rain eased during the afternoon and water levels got no higher.

I see we have more of the same forecast sometime next week.

We have more forecast for tonight and tomorrow, weather warnings for
Sat. Sun and Monday. Lucky us.

wet wet wet summer zaax[_2_] United Kingdom 23 18-03-2013 04:03 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 22-11-2011 12:14 AM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 09:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 05:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 04:49 PM