GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wet, wet, wet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205996-wet-wet-wet.html)

David Hill 20-12-2012 09:33 AM

Wet, wet, wet

Need I say more?
Even by our standards it's wet with a lot more to come in the next day
or so.
David @ the sodden end of Swansea Bay

'Mike'[_4_] 20-12-2012 09:44 AM

Wet, wet, wet

"David Hill" wrote in message
Need I say more?
Even by our standards it's wet with a lot more to come in the next day or
so.
David @ the sodden end of Swansea Bay

I spent the day at the Royal Marine Commando Training Base near Exeter
yesterday. It was WET and that is a huge parade ground to get across when
the rain is horizontal.

ALL DAY it rained.

cotula 20-12-2012 10:27 AM

Wet, wet, wet

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:33:42 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Need I say more?
Even by our standards it's wet with a lot more to come in the next day
or so.

Yup - see http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.

Phil Cook 20-12-2012 10:32 AM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 08:44, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Need I say more?

I spent the day at the Royal Marine Commando Training Base near Exeter
yesterday. It was WET and that is a huge parade ground to get across when
the rain is horizontal.

ALL DAY it rained.

Change the P in RM instructors' favourite saying...

It's only pain.

As the Noggies say there is no bad weather only poor clothing.
--
Phil Cook

'Mike'[_4_] 20-12-2012 10:44 AM

Wet, wet, wet

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 08:44, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Need I say more?

I spent the day at the Royal Marine Commando Training Base near Exeter
yesterday. It was WET and that is a huge parade ground to get across when
the rain is horizontal.

ALL DAY it rained.

Change the P in RM instructors' favourite saying...

It's only pain.

As the Noggies say there is no bad weather only poor clothing.
--
Phil Cook

Would you by any chance know Lympstone ???? ;-)

Phil Cook 20-12-2012 11:08 AM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 09:44, 'Mike' wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 08:44, 'Mike' wrote:

I spent the day at the Royal Marine Commando Training Base near Exeter
ALL DAY it rained.

Change the P in RM instructors' favourite saying...

It's only pain.

As the Noggies say there is no bad weather only poor clothing.

Would you by any chance know Lympstone ???? ;-)

Nah, but I know somebody in the wavy navy.
--
Phil Cook

'Mike'[_4_] 20-12-2012 11:11 AM

Wet, wet, wet

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 09:44, 'Mike' wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 08:44, 'Mike' wrote:

I spent the day at the Royal Marine Commando Training Base near Exeter
ALL DAY it rained.

Change the P in RM instructors' favourite saying...

It's only pain.

As the Noggies say there is no bad weather only poor clothing.

Would you by any chance know Lympstone ???? ;-)

Nah, but I know somebody in the wavy navy.
--
Phil Cook

;-)

But there is no Wavy Navy now !!!

Do you mean they are a Bootneck?

Mike

Phil Cook 20-12-2012 11:44 AM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 10:11, 'Mike' wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 09:44, 'Mike' wrote:

Would you by any chance know Lympstone ???? ;-)

Nah, but I know somebody in the wavy navy.

;-)

But there is no Wavy Navy now !!!

Do you mean they are a Bootneck?

That's just another term for a Royal isn't it?

My friend is in the RNR.
--
Phil Cook

'Mike'[_4_] 20-12-2012 01:08 PM

Wet, wet, wet

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 10:11, 'Mike' wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 09:44, 'Mike' wrote:

Would you by any chance know Lympstone ???? ;-)

Nah, but I know somebody in the wavy navy.

;-)

But there is no Wavy Navy now !!!

Do you mean they are a Bootneck?

That's just another term for a Royal isn't it?

My friend is in the RNR.
--
Phil Cook

:-)

Your friend is in the Royal Naval Reserve which is still nicknamed the Wavy
Navy from the times when RNVR and RNR Officers had wavy gold braid, but the
RNVR and RNR were merged and years later, have straight RN gold with an R in
the top loop of the braid. The wavy braid was then issued to Sea Cadet
Officers but even now they have straight gold braid with SCC in the loop.

As you are aware of Lympstone etc, your friend might be a reserve Marine and
that would be RMR

The difference between RNVR and RNR is that Merchant Navy personal signed up
for training in the RN as reservists and were RNR whilst those outside naval
experience Volunteers were RNVR.

Phil Cook 20-12-2012 02:06 PM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 12:08, 'Mike' wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message

"Phil Cook" wrote in message

Nah, but I know somebody in the wavy navy.

My friend is in the RNR.

Your friend is in the Royal Naval Reserve which is still nicknamed the Wavy
Navy from the times when RNVR and RNR Officers had wavy gold braid

That's what I was getting at.
--
Phil Cook

David Hill 20-12-2012 02:12 PM

Wet, wet, wet

Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each other?

'Mike'[_4_] 20-12-2012 02:19 PM

Wet, wet, wet

"David Hill" wrote in message

Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each other?

Never seen you post that before. Why say it now?

Kindest regards

Mike

Broadback[_4_] 20-12-2012 02:37 PM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 13:19, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each other?

Never seen you post that before. Why say it now?

Kindest regards

Mike

Because he finds it boring, as do I. I have a son who was in the RM, but
I don't wish to bore everyone about it.

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

Phil Cook 20-12-2012 02:52 PM

Wet, wet, wet

On 20/12/2012 13:12, David Hill wrote:
Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each other?

It did cross my mind but I think Mike is using a non address.

You and anybody else with a decent newsreader could also use the K key
if you don't want to read about the weather and that Mike knew what I
meant about the wavy navy in the first place.
--
Phil Cook

Kathy 20-12-2012 03:12 PM

Wet, wet, wet

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 20/12/2012 13:19, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

Why don't you 2 take your conversation Private and Email each other?

Never seen you post that before. Why say it now?

Kindest regards

Mike

Because he finds it boring, as do I. I have a son who was in the RM, but I
don't wish to bore everyone about it.

But you don't live for second-hand glory like Mike does.