GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206008-wheelbarrow-wheel-puncture-repair.html)

usenet2012 21-12-2012 07:18 PM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

Phil Cook 21-12-2012 07:40 PM

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?
--
Phil Cook

The Original Jake 21-12-2012 08:11 PM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:40:34 +0000, Phil Cook
wrote:

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?

I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

David Hill 21-12-2012 08:28 PM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

Yes to both.
Depends on how ham fisted you are.

David Hill 21-12-2012 08:29 PM

wrote:

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?

I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Solid are hard work on soft ground and mud

rbel[_2_] 21-12-2012 08:31 PM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:18:19 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

Having had to repair the tyre on our barrow (I say 'our' advisedly as
it was a birthday present for SWMBO) every year as the result of thorn
punctures someone, possibly here, recommended the use of Slime.

Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS.../dp/B000C11PYW

--
rbel

The Original Jake 21-12-2012 09:07 PM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

wrote:

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?

I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Solid are hard work on soft ground and mud

I put "solid" in inverted commas. There is as much bounce in the tyre
as there was in my former pneumatic one and I have no problems with it
even when carrying a heavy load. In relation to the site I quote
above, check out their "superior" range.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

usenet2012 22-12-2012 07:54 AM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

In message ,
lid writes
wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

Having had to repair the tyre on our barrow (I say 'our' advisedly as
it was a birthday present for SWMBO) every year as the result of thorn
punctures someone, possibly here, recommended the use of Slime.

Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS.../dp/B000C11PYW

Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??

http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

Pete[_9_] 22-12-2012 08:50 AM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired?

I take all my gardening puncture repairs to Kevin at D and D Tyres
in Nantwich. I have about 15 tyres on the ground surrounded by thorn hedges.
At between £5 and £10 per visit it is just not worth all the faffing about
with
home remedies, I have found.

Regards and All the Best
Pete

usenet2012 22-12-2012 09:17 AM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

In message , Pete
writes

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired?

I take all my gardening puncture repairs to Kevin at D and D Tyres
in Nantwich. I have about 15 tyres on the ground surrounded by thorn hedges.
At between £5 and £10 per visit it is just not worth all the faffing
about with
home remedies, I have found.

a bit far from Kent though :-)

shazzbat 22-12-2012 09:48 AM

"usenet2012" wrote in message

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

If it's a tube type, you can do it exactly like a bicycle inner tube. The
sidewalls of a wheelbarrow tyre are very pliable, so easy to get over the
rim. If it's tubeless it's even easier, you can just put a blob of silicone
sealer on the inside, or even take out the valve and squirt builder's foam
inside. Or stick a puncture patch on the tyre itself, thepossibilities are
endless. It's not going to crash and kill you if anything goes wrong.

Steve

Broadback[_4_] 22-12-2012 10:15 AM

On 22/12/2012 09:48, shazzbat wrote:
"usenet2012" wrote in message

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

If it's a tube type, you can do it exactly like a bicycle inner tube. The
sidewalls of a wheelbarrow tyre are very pliable, so easy to get over the
rim. If it's tubeless it's even easier, you can just put a blob of silicone
sealer on the inside, or even take out the valve and squirt builder's foam
inside. Or stick a puncture patch on the tyre itself, thepossibilities are
endless. It's not going to crash and kill you if anything goes wrong.

Steve

I repair mine with a cycle repair outfit. Make sure though that there
are no thorns embedded in the tyre. After a few repairs I took it to
Vantage and had the tyre replaced, it has been a while now since I had a
puncture. Having said that I bet when I go to use it after a Christmas I
will be punctured. Sod's law don't yo know!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

rbel[_2_] 22-12-2012 10:16 AM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:54:56 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

Having had to repair the tyre on our barrow (I say 'our' advisedly as
it was a birthday present for SWMBO) every year as the result of thorn
punctures someone, possibly here, recommended the use of Slime.

Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS.../dp/B000C11PYW

Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??

http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

Another (admittedly minor) advantage of the Slime is that there is
virtually none of the usual very slow deflation that occurs during the
course of time. Instead of topping up the air a couple of times a
year it is now once every two years!
--
rbel

Pete[_9_] 22-12-2012 11:05 AM

Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

a bit far from Kent though :-)

--
Simon

Well - I really thought Kent was nearby - just
shows I live to be corrected (:-(

Pete

[email protected] 22-12-2012 11:11 AM

In article , rbel wrote:

Another (admittedly minor) advantage of the Slime is that there is
virtually none of the usual very slow deflation that occurs during the
course of time. Instead of topping up the air a couple of times a
year it is now once every two years!

Quite often, the original tyre is tubeless. You can usually fit
a tube inside it, and that is a near-permanent solution. The
main risk of slime is that you may jam the valve.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.